Joinery question

Let me preface this post by saying I am a woodworking newbie without the best tools available.

Anyway, I am trying to make my wife a nightstand. I got the top, sides, back, shelves, and face frames cut and assembled, and wonder of wonders they are all SQUARE!

I started to assemble everything this weekend and wouldn't you know it, the top of the nightstand is about 1/16" wider than the sides. I didn't see this when I dry fitted everything only after I glued it.

My question is this, is there an idiot-proof way to shave the extra off of my top so that my face frame fits flush all the way around?

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie...

Reply to
bairdg2001

use a flush trim bit on a router.

Reply to
Pat Payne

And climb cut the end to avoid tearout/splintering.

Reply to
Steve

On 28 Jul 2003 10:54:13 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

As bob stated, squareness endeth newbieness

here is where Bob and i differ...lol welcome to "artistic design 101"

think about leaving it, and call it what David Marks calls it. its a 1/32" "reveal" hehe, in all seriousness,,it might actualy be easier to incorporate your "mistake" into the asthetics of the piece.

personaly i dont recall very many of the projects i have done recently that have gone from paper to use without some kind of "process modification" or cover the screwups.

jewbeddybelcome

Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

Your description is a bit vague and confusing. Will the face frame not fit flush because the top extends past the front of the chest or is the top ending up giving you wings on either side of the chest?

Router, straight bit, bushing guide and a straight edge for a guide or stand it up on it's top on the table saw, if it is square, you should be able to shave it off by running the back along the rip fence. Either of those two methods will fix the first scenario. .

A flush trim bit would fix the second as would, again, if all is square, running it through the table saw.

Reply to
Mike G