Joinery machine progress

For anyone following the progress (or lack thereof) of my PC-controlled CNC dovetail/M&T/Box joint machine - I've updated the page at the link below with a picture of the freshly painted (Krylon smoke grey gloss, to match my unisaur) machine.

I'm hoping that by the end of the coming week I'll have the hinged spindle mounting plate (and a trim router "spindle") installed and running.

It's actually beginning to look more like a machine than a collection of baltic birch cut-offs. :-)

Morris Dovey

Very cool Morris!

Tom Plamann

Reply to
Tom Plamann

| Very cool Morris!

Thanks - it's been an interesting learning experience. I've been fascinated by the kinds of joints that are possible _only_ with CNC. It seems that much of traditional joinery has evolved as it has because of human/tool limitations; and I'm eager to investigate some of the possibilities that arise when joints can be made to mate perfectly (every time!) in three dimensions.

How are you doing on your (much bigger!) CNC machine? Last I heard was that you'd found most of the components; but hadn't yet started on the platform. I'm aware that you've been busy building a new shop and taking care of customers (I admired the pix you posted to a.b.p.w) - have you had time to get your CNC equipment assembled and on-line yet?

Morris Dovey

No, I haven't had time to start putting the CNC together. And I don't see any window in the near future. Too much work I am trying to catch up on. I am in the shop today finishing up a project I have to deliver to Battle Creek tomorrow morning. I did pick up a double disc sander at auction this week. So that will keep my spare time filled for the next few weeks going over that and painting it up for the shop. It will be a nice addition being a double sided 48" diameter disc sander. I had a tough time finding PSA paper for it. I'll post pictures when I am done spiffin' it up.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Plamann

| I am in the shop today finishing up a project I | have to deliver to Battle Creek tomorrow morning. | I did pick up a double disc sander at auction this week. So that | will keep my spare time filled for the next few weeks going over | that and painting it up for the shop. It will be a nice addition | being a double sided 48" diameter disc sander. I had a tough time | finding PSA paper for it. I'll post pictures when I am done | spiffin' it up.

Wow! I'm looking foreward to seeing the photos - that's just *huge*.

Have a safe trip. I hear Grand Rapids is a pretty flaky place.

Morris Dovey