joinery costs

Iam looking for a good sorce of imfo for build up labour rates for making custom joinery from windows to stairs .I know that all workshops are different ,and people do things in a different way ,but all the same looking for some imfo that i can bulid on in spread sheet format . Thanks

I bill $100 an hour, four hour minimum. I don't to stairs but the Florida stairman does.

That's nothing. I bill $400/hr, three week minimum.
So far, no takers, but that's besides the point.
Perhaps you should consider $5 an hour for a while and see if there are any takers.
mp wrote:

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Unless you actually ask him a stair question, then he disappears.
Barry

He's probably busy in the kitchen roasting a chicken.
paul flint wrote:

There is an old formula that applies to almost any manufacturing business that goes something like this:
30% Materials 30% Labor 30% Overhead 10% Profit ++++++++++++++++++ 100% = Sell Price
Sometimes you need to massage the labor and material numbers a little bit.
For example, if the materials used have a lot of waste, might use only 10%-15% for materials.
It works for me.
YMMV
Lew
For whatever it is worth... After years of working with manufacturers, they still seem to be fond of the "two times" table -- and if not they seem to fail...
+ Materials + Labor + Overhead + Contingency _______________
X 2
= Selling price
i.e. 50% profit
Lew Hodgett wrote:

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

In my industry we are lucky to sell at 2X material and still have to pay the labor, overhead, etc. Guess we are in the wrong business.
Well - I thought you had at least a reasonable answer. :-) I have noticed that most people seem to forget that they are also charging for the tools and transportation - not just labour and materials.
Last few car repairs I notice the shop rate varied form $65 to $105 depending on the shop and the overhead in terms of specialty equipment.
As long as you provide value for money people will pay your rate - no matter how high or low.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

The 'safe' figure to use is "an arm and half a leg" <grin>
Any 'realistic' answer is going to have an uncertianty range of _at_least_ a factor of five, more likely ten. Which is so broad as to make it 'useless'.

Judging by the spelling, you are in a Commonwealth country, so local conditions will be key, but in Washington, DC casual labor retails at $80/hour. Skilled goes higher.