joiner fence aligmment Delta DJ-20

My fence touches the outfeed table near the blade and rides on the table as I move it back and forth. I am wondering if this is why I am having problems getting the 90 stop to work right. Should the fence touch the outfeed table when the fence is locked at 90 degrees?

Reply to
Jim

Maybe I can't speak authoritatively as to whether or not is should (my guess would be "no"), but I can tell you that mine does not.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

Hello Jim,

Absolutely not.

Reply to
terry boivin

Negative on mine.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Reply to
Pat Barber

I'm going to disagree with Terry & Barry and tell you yes it should. If you'll look at your fence closely you will see an area just past the cutterhead on the outfeed side of your fence that is wider than the rest of the fence and rounded to limit scoring the tabletop.

I recently rebuilt a dj 20 and struggled with setting the collar to hold the pin at 90 degrees. I realized the set screws in the collar had made indentions in the rod and kept falling back into the same position when tightening. You have a rod that floats inside 2 bushings and 2 collars. One collar has the indents for 90 and 45 degrees that your locking pin goes into and the other collar is for the friction locking mechanism. Loosen set screws in both collars so you can rotate the rod to a fresh spot for your set screws to bite into. Retighten the collar the friction mechanism locks down on but leave the collar with the indents for the pin loose. Set your fence to 90 degrees and lock down tightly. Recheck for drifting when tightening and compensate if needed. Once you are satisfied your fence is at 90 degrees then tighten the set screw in the collar making sure your pin is securely set in the indention.

Reply to
mel

After further review, I was mistaken! Mine also has a rounded bottom edge that rests on the outfeed table.

I hadn't noticed that section, the guard blocked it from the angle I did a quick look-see from.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

My DJ-20 fence also sits on the outfeed table. I smoothed the bottom of the fence with a few strokes of a mill file and waxed it. That kept the fence from scratching the outfeed table.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I just called Delta, they said the fence is supposed to ride on the outfield table to provide a consistent refernece point for the fence.

Reply to
Jim