Johnson's Paste Wax

Page 5 of 5
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:44:12 -0500, Silvan

another dying breed... hardware stores.. I try really hard to buy from our local hardware store.. he's independent, no franchise, etc..
I try to get myself to pay extra for things there, because I'm getting personal service and knowledgeable help... In reality, I get both of those things from orchard Hardware... so the real reason I go to the hardware store? The bottom line is that I'm self employed and I feel his pain.. I try to throw a little business his way BECAUSE he's a dying breed and I hope to slow the process a bit..
mac davis wrote:

Yeah, me too. That's why I buy overpriced lumber there.
It would help make it easier to buy more usual hardware/tool/general purpose items if he weren't on the far side of a bout 15,000 (more like 15) stoplights, whereas Lowe's is only two stoplights away.
On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 11:30:24 -0500, Silvan

In my case, he was across the street from my office... hard to ignore..
On 17 Dec 2004 10:39:57 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) calmly ranted:

Please cite your info source, Charlie. I've been looking for that kind of info on Wally World for over a year now.
I buy more food and US-made "stuff" from there than I do their Chinese imports.
----------------------------------------------------------- -- This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels -- http://diversify.com Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases =================================================================
Larry Jaques asks:

Yeah, well evidently most of the 30% American made stuff is food or similar.
I wish I could recall which news program...local or national...it could even have been a story on AOL news. Dunno. I just remembered the figures, because Walmart made such major brags about buying American made whenever they could when they first moved to this area.
Seems like whenever they can is when they're in the fields looking at produce.
Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill
Charlie Self wrote:

Yeah. "We saved 247 jobs by buying the Super Blurfl from Bitsyco Enterprises in Bumfuktu, OK." Where are those posters now?

A lot of the produce comes out of Latin America. Most of the house brand food comes out of Canada. Must be NAFTA.
Charlie Self wrote:

True, but they do have a few things actually made in the USA. I bought SWMBO a knife sharpener that fits this bill today. I was surprised.
Of course...

...this may be a US brand, but it ain't an American product.
MANUFACTURED IN MEXICO BY S.C. JOHNSON & SON S.A. de C.V.
RampRat wrote:

Points not yet mentioned:
In a time long, long ago, Johnson's paste wax was advertised for floors. Today, and for decades, you will have seen advertisements for floors that never need waxing. Wonder why there isn't a market for the wax.
There's no magic in Johnson's wax. Nothing more than a mixure of waxes, e.g. bees and carnuba in paint thinner. FWW has published formulas.
Just my two cents.
ray