Johnson's Paste Wax

Page 4 of 5
David Hall wrote:

Pro'ly not. Is Johnson's considered a "floor wax?" I seem to recall the word "floor" on the can somewhere, but it seems to do a spiffy keen job of making things slickery.
By this question, I can tell you were never in the military.

CW wrote:

I'll take that as a yes then. :)
Johnson's is a floor wax (says so on the can), but it is not allowed for commercial floor use under OSHA regs (my understanding). Johnson's apparently decided against reformulating their namesake product (I believe it says Johnson's original paste wax on the can), which may be one reason why it now has a pretty small market and can be hard to find in some areas. I also assume (without any real basis in knowledge) that the lack of anti-slip additives in a product that says it is a floor wax may be why Johnson's Paste Wax is not sold in Canada (their regs may be a bit more stringent than ours and not allow it for commercial OR non-commercial floor applications).
Dave Hall
Dave Hall wrote:

It alludes to being a floor wax in the fine print, but it doesn't call itself a floor wax.

Briwax is used on floors as well but according to a distributor in the US it is even more slippery than Johnson's so they don't recommend it.

Ha! You are right. It says it is a wax. It says "for floors wait 20-30 minutes before buffing...", it says "Member - National Wood Flooring Association", it says "For additional information about floor care, call...", but it does not say "I am a floor wax" LOL
David Hall wrote:

Pro'ly so's they don't get sued, I 'magine.
calmly ranted:

Call your local Wally World. I got my last can there for $4.68 or some similar price, no shipping. See? Walmart DOES stock U.S. brands! (Several hundred of them, actually, but nobody bothers to notice.)
--
"Most Folks Are As Happy As They Make Up Their Minds To Be"
-Abraham Lincoln

Amongst the 70% of Walmart stock that is made in China, to the tune of $18 billion dollars annually?
Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill
On 17 Dec 2004 10:39:57 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

70% sounds kind of low, Charlie.... I doubt if they go more than 15% domestic, as they're experts in marketing what will sell well.. and most domestic products are not "affordable" compared to imports.. (yep, we've priced ourselves out of the market)
mac davis responds:

I can't recall which program I heard that 70% on, but I'd guess it's fairly accurate--the networks ain't really in love with Walmart.
As far as pricing ourselves out of the market, yeah, I guess that's the case. Most factory workers want to live at least as well as lower level management types (who really manage nothing). That prices them out of the market at today's prices, but there is a huge list of objective, and subjective, reasons for prices being as high as they are--check some history on the early Levittown houses bought by WWII, as compared to today's "entry" level first owner homes. Under 1000 SF (some were around 800SF), compared to over 2700 SF, for a start.
Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill
(Charlie Self) wrote:

So why does that cause you to suppose the figure is accurate?
On 17 Dec 2004 17:41:10 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) calmly ranted:

"They're biased against them so it's accurate?" Oy vay! :-/
From sources I just saw by googling "walmart imports", Wally World imports about $15B per year from China and does over $256B a year in sales. Figuring a triple markup, that's 45 vs. 256, or 6%. Where does that put your 70% figure (despite my wholesale vs. retail figures)? They hire 1.2 million Americans at an average of $9.98/hr for full-time associates.
Also, Walmart is the first company with their foot in the door and stores in China. They're now exporting some of America's goods to China, a Good Thing(tm).
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/secrets/stats.html
----------------------------------------------------------- -- This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels -- http://diversify.com Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases =================================================================
Larry Jaques responds:

Read what I wrote. IIRC, you thought it was higher. I said it was unlikely to be because the media company didn't much like Walmart. It might be lower. Probably isn't.

They are not MY figures Larry.
Where the HELL do you find the average Walmart associate making almost ten bucks an hour? More like six around here.

Maybe. I'd be curious to see percentages here, too.
Charlie Self "Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power." Eric Hoffer
On Sat 18 Dec 2004 04:23:22a, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote in

I think they're using the total wages for the company divided by the number of employees, including management. If your company has 10 people making five bucks and hour and one person making 40, then the average wage for the company is 8.18.
On 18 Dec 2004 10:23:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) calmly ranted:

Sorry, how about "the figure you quoted"?

Right there on the link I (thoughtfully) provided (so I wouldn't have to answer that question.) <wink> BTW, I thought that ws high, too, but they include everyone from the CEO on down as an "associate." Talk about skewing the stats... <g>
Here it comes again: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/secrets/stats.html

They're hard to find, aren't they? Maybe Walmart will have an answer for me. I'll email a query to 'em today then check out their answers online.
I think maybe this particular topic is too close to the heart, like the gun control arguments. Despite finding the facts, the controllers won't disseminate their findings when they find out it goes against their beliefs. Y'know, a "Don't confuse my perfectly good fantasy with facts." kind of thing. Idealism has its costs.
So, folks, who has the _real_ uptime lowdown on these Wally World guys?
Calling All Wreckers: Cites, please.
-- Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven. Gee, ain't religion GREAT? --------------------------------------------- http://diversify.com Sin-free Website Design
Charlie Self wrote:

Probably not. Do you know anyone who works at Wally World? People especially of the feminine persuasion got a huge raise this year. On the order of $2.50 an hour in some cases. I think they're starting at $7 or $8 for new hires now.
Apparently they didn't like all the bad press about being the world's largest employer and paying the lowest wages with the worst benefits package of all major American companies, or the hints of a class action lawsuit on behalf of all the people of the feminine persuasion who weren't getting the extra penis premium on their checks.
They hired some independent research firm to send people into the stores and work all the jobs from the ground up to the home office, then report on what the job entailed, and what it was worth, adjusted broadly by locality. Then they scaled up wages based on the difference between what people were actually making, and what the results of this study determined they should be making, and gave people the difference in one big hunk of a raise.
I'm just as shocked as you that they actually did something about it, but they did. I certainly can't complain. Wal-Mart replaced my 20 year old car at long last. They finally put SWMBO into a job she likes, after 13 years of getting jerked around, and that makes her less bitchy and more content, so it's win-win all around, really. From the perspective of working there anyway, which says nothing about the broader sociopoliticoeconomic issues in play.
Charlie Self wrote:

Very true. My grandparents bought a little asbestos shingled two bedroom place for $3,000 after WWII. About 800 sq. ft. sounds right. That place is *cramped*. Raised two kids there.
mac davis wrote:

They are experts. Bastards. I went for batteries and a pepper mill. I left with batteries, a pedometer, a pepper mill, a knife, and a knife sharpener. Bastards. I know how the game is played from the other side, but it still works.
Junky old fashioned hardware stores with boxes upon boxes of things scattered around in random disarray are easier to shop at. You ask the guy where the left threaded blurfls are, and he shows you. You don't walk out with a blurfl sharpener, a right handed blurfl and three pounds of blurfl polish.
Which is why junky old fashioned hardware stores are getting outcompeted by the BORGs.