Johnson's Paste Wax

Page 3 of 5
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 23:57:04 GMT, Jim Weisgram

They won't even ship to Canada. US addresses only.
I would love a couple cans to finish my MDF work benches. It's so cheap. Lee Valley sells a paste wax product but it's a bit pricy. Is it the same as Johnson's? I have an old can of Briwax clear, full, I wonder if it would be the way to go. Stinks like hell!
Minwax make a paste wax but I can't find out if it contains sillycones or not.
Gino SameOld asks:

Similar to Johnson's, not a cone in sight, silly or otherwise.
Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill
On 17 Dec 2004 01:45:56 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

dry HARD. You really need the elbow grease to buff it out. The only can I've got or used is at least 40 years old. It's been laying around here for years and I just opened it a month or two ago.
I looked up their website and it looks to be good stuff.
Gin SameOld asks:

It is good, but expensive. I use my own concoction for table tops. More carnauba than is in the commercial waxes. Harder to apply, but I use a cordless power buffer and it buffs out nicely. Three coats last me about a year.
Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill
On 17 Dec 2004 10:37:04 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Briwax is $20 a can here in the great white north, that's $3 cheaper than Lee Valley's product. Does the Lee Valley wax have anti-slip agents? I assume the Briwax does not because it's a furniture wax. I figure Johnsons will cost me at least $15 delivered from anywhere in the US. Briwax looks like the way to go, and hey I've already got a 40 year old can of the stuff almost full.:) I can't find anything else.

Anybody know whether that's due to a business decision, or to U.S. export regulations, or Canadian import regulations?

According to Minwax, their "Paste Finishing Wax" is silicone-free. I phoned them and asked. They also sent a copy of the MSDS, and it makes no mention of silicone.
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 02:56:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

According to Johnson's it because UPS doesn't come to Canada and that the only way they ship.
They couldn't or wouldn't name a single company in Canada selling the stuff either, even though there is nothing stopping Canadian retailers or wholesalers from buying the stuff.

Interesting. Heck, I'll ship it USPS Parcel Post to any Canadian that wants it. For the right price, of course... :-)
Doug Miller wrote:

Me too, for 10% off Doug's right price. :)
Or for the people who want value added service, and they're willing to pay a little extra for the best possible care, I'll also do it for 20% more than Doug's right price. Take your pick.

Man, as soon as I can take a picture of a can I'm puting some on ebay!
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 16:12:24 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net (Lawrence Wasserman) wrote:

I've heard you can get it as low as $4 or less a can wholesale. Ebay was on of the first place I checked on the net. I'd be interested in seeing a delivered price to Canada.:)
I'm going with the Briwax. More money than Johnson's but at least it's available. Home Hardware sells it for $20 and on sale $15 (about twice a year) But not right now .:( No anti-slip agents, Just beeswax and carnauba. It's hard as hell, and even comes in colors.
Lawrence Wasserman wrote:

BANNED IN CANADA! We only have ONE CAN LEFT! First bid $149.95, reserve not yet met.

Hah. I'll do it for _15_ percent more than Doug's price. So there.

My understanding is that Canada requires the use of anti-slip ingredients in all floor waxes and Johnson's does not have them. Johnson's (and possibly a few others) were grandfathered from the regs in the US. It is my understanding that it is still against OSHA regs to use floor waxes without anti-slip ingredients in commercial applications subject to OSHA. I know that the school district I work for in Pennsylvania does not use Johnson's as a floor wax due to liability issues.
Dave Hall
On 17 Dec 2004 03:35:56 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cs.com (David Hall) wrote:

hmm... I use it mostly on the shopsmith, per their instructions, and have been doing that for 20+ years... wonder if "non-slip" wax (sounds like Military Intelligence) would still make the tubes slide well, o stick and jam??
Well, I used MinWax paste wax on my Shopsmith before I found out the difference. I now use Johnson's. I can tell a substantial difference. Floor wax is to protect the floor, shine it up, etc. It is not a great idea, however, to make your floor slipperier than snot. Therefore quite a while back floor waxes began to add anti-slip ingredients. It was subsequently required under, I believe, an OSHA reg. Johnson's did not reformulate their namesake product.
UPS does run in Canada. They charge outrages fees for crossing the boarder though.

snipped-for-privacy@ditto.org says...

I queried Min Wax about their product a year or so ago. Their wax doesn't contain silicon but it does contain an anti slip agent of some kind and they said it would probably not be best used on surfaces, IE saw table top, where you want things slippery.
--
MikeG
Heirloom Woods

It does not contain silicon(e), but it does contain anti-slip ingredients like most other floor waxes. If you are using it as a finish on wood it should be fine. If using it as a rust preventitive it should be as good as Johnson's , but if you are using it to make a surface slick I don't think anti-slip is what you want ;)
Dave Hall