JOAT?

Haven't seen the ol' coot around in quite awhile. Anyone still in touch with him? Is his website still up?

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

Buddy Matlosz wrote,on my timestamp of 11/09/2008 10:48 AM:

a lot of the old gang have gone awol...

Reply to
Noons

I wonder why?

Maybe all the political bs being posted might have something to do with it.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in news:oW8yk.45$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

It was the spam flood from several months ago that got most people. If you didn't have filtering ability, the wRECk was horrible to read. Even with filtering, it took a few weeks to catch 90% of the spam.

The politics always comes and goes, especially this time of year.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Shit, man, that's because it is all Bush's fault!

Reply to
Robatoy

Maybe, but some ISPs have recently dropped all support for newsgroups.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

IIRC,, JOAT was on WebTV?

Reply to
Robatoy

I think you should try emailing him.

Maybe you can get a whole group of folks to email him asking him to come back. I am sure that an old guy like him would enjoy getting a few letters

;-)

Reply to
dhall987

Unless it has changed, JOAT was using Web TV Internet.

Reply to
Charlie Self

I'm pretty sure that Theo is a few years younger than I am. He never did welcome email that didn't have a specific and sensible purpose, though I guess finding out if he's still kicking might be considered specific and sensible enough.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Maybe coincidentally, it seemed like he stopped posting at the beginning of that long Asian forsale flood. Not being familiar with Web TV's capabilities, I have to question whether it's capable of filtering content and that might have been what precipitated JOAT's absence.

Reply to
Upscale

He is alive and well. we talked a few days ago VIA a website. he said life is basically good! LOL I think he got tired of the spam and political crap here. I am too and may disapear soon also. he can not filter web tv. its a shame we cant keep this group ON topic. I dont mind OFF topic stuff but here lately I get hundreds of headers a day and after filtering I have less than half! and 80% of whats left is OFF TOPIC. well go ahead start the flames. I tuned in several years ago and can tune out anytime so..... how many good folks are we gonna loose before we learn?

skeez

Reply to
skeez

I've got the spam pretty much covered. I filter be author ,words and google ect. I could add OT to the list but I DO enjoy some of the OT posts. I dont respond to them but I do read some so I dont want to do that. sometimes I get headers and it says its getting up to [just for example] 1200 headers and after it filters out what I want it to I get maybe 60-70 posts. thats fine. out of the 60-70 I might get 10-15 woodworking related posts! thats where the problem is lately. I understand it's an election year and politics is a hot topic but it realy doesnt belong here. All it does is flare tempers and causes degradation of the group. The nuggets of usefull stuff are getting harder to find. I also find when someone tries to help someone else in comes the flamers bitching about spelling,grammer,legalities ect..ect..ect... ad nauseum. then it turnes into a spitting contest. Soon the nuggets are ,lost in the bullshit. thanks for the offer of help. BTW I like the picnic table! you aint gotta worry but it being blown away in the wind! It looks rock solid.

skeez

Reply to
skeez

I think it was about 6 words or so that were suggested at the time, but it was good enough to reduce the spam flood from a hundred a day down to two or three spamcraps, if that. Which group of spam is it that's plaguing you? I'll go through my filters and find those key words for you.

Reply to
Upscale

It damned near did me in, using Google, until Foxmire decided to wor with some bits others here recommended. Now, I see an average of three or four posts per ten post page.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Sure, a good portion of the OT stuff is what makes this area the family it is. Yeah I know, your election is a good portion of the current conversation and many are not really interested in it, but it will be gone soon enough to be replaced by something else, maybe a little more interesting or on topic.

Appreciate that. This is the first time I've used bench bolts because I wanted the table to be easily dismantled for winter storage. It also made for easy transportation to the friend's house. I was really surprised at how sturdy the table was when putting it together even with just one stretcher assembled. Guess I shouldn't have been so surprised since the bolts *are* designed for heavy bench construction.

I'm off on Sunday for a barbeque where the table will be properly christened. Might be one of the last barbeques for the season. Let me tell you, it stinks living in an apartment and not having easy access to an outdoor grill. :)

Reply to
Upscale

IIRC,, JOAT was on WebTV?

Yeah - he was a WebTV'er, but he was gone long before the isp's dropped newsfeeds.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Learn what? All of life is full of things we don't care about, wish weren't there, annoy us, please us, etc. Maybe we should learn that we simply can't make a perfect environment that everybody is in complete agreement is perfect.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Didn't miss the smiley did ya Charlie?

I think JOAT was always quite gracious about unsolicited emails, especially if it was to ask him if he had some plans for a (insert item here)...

:-)

Reply to
dhall987

Hi everyone, been a while. Good to read JOAT is still around, sort of.

I think a few of us wandered off because of the potty mouths and the political BS that grew out of control. Plus some of the oldtimers disappeared. Do you still hear from Keeter, Paddy and Luigi? I see a number of the old regulars and a few new faces.

cheers

Groggy

Reply to
Groggy