jigsaws - need advice before buying (makita? bosch?)

hi all i'm not woodworking at all, so i'm asking you for advice. i want to buy a jigsaw for my father in law. we live in poland, and we have only limited choice of brands. those include bosch, black&dekker, skil, makita, dewalt (rare) and some others. all of them are pretty expensive comparing to us prices. however i was lucky to contact a shop with makita sold-out. they offered me makita simplest 4323 model brand new for circa 60$, but also 4304T model from exposition (they described it as never used, but pretty dirty) for 135$. i compared prices in a local store: 4323 is 110$, 4304T unavalaible, but catalogue price is circa 240$. so that looks like a good deal. i write so much about prices, because they matter. nor me, nor my father in law, are rich. my father in law is a professional, has spent almost 40 years as woodcutter. he lives in a small village, his monthly income is something around $400. so i have to choose carefully. he will be using the tool a lot, but doesn't need all the features, quick saw change etc. he needs a reliable, long lasting tool which will do the job. but buying something cheaper, and than finding out that it's just an expensive toy, could be even more painfull, than buying something little bit overpriced. so my question are: 1. what should i avoid when buying such a tool? 2. which features are essential for cutting, and which are just add-ons? 3. is it worth to blow almost twice as money for more pricey makita? 4. maybe i have to look for another, less expensive brand, like skil? 5. what are pro and contras for those two models? 6. do you know any on-line reviews of jigsaws? thanks a lot for your attention
rekrutacja
Let me recommend the Bosch. Look around for more advice, but Bosch is generally accepted as the way to go for jigsaws until or unless your ready to spend quite a bit more money.
Brian.

I've had the Bosch 1587 for about six months and it has been great. It replaced a Porter Cable which I put up with for years and hated.
Dave R.

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 06:43:00 +0000, Dave Rowell wrote:

Just my 2 cents worth...buy the bosch barrel grip. I bought mine at a tool sale in 1982 when the guy demonstrating it was using it to plunge cut into 1x6 pine. Now, this was not your standard plunge cut...he was stabbing the blade through the wood and holding the saw by the cord. I first saw this at about 9:00 AM, came back about 3:00PM and the guy was still using the same saw and had a gallon bucket of bent blades. I figured if the saw could take that kind of abuse it would take everything I could throw at it. I have used the saw daily for 15 years following purchase, then changed jobs and have used it weekly since. The other day I had to replace the cord. The reason I only use the saw weekly now is that we have 3 of them now at work. And I would buy another one in a heartbeat but I don't think I would have to unless mine is stolen. I don't think you can wear the things out!

I agree heartedly with buying the Bosch. But, try to handle both the barrel grip and the top handle versions. Both are the same tool, but one may "fit" your hand better. The barrel grip is not intrinsically better especially if you don't have big or strong hands.
Actually, I think the barrel grip makes the saw easier to control/maneuver. BUT, if your hands aren't big enough, the top grip is fine. The Bosch is a wonderful saw in either grip version!
Renata
On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 16:07:49 -0500, Cape Cod Bob

I bought the DeWalt 321 but if I had to do it over again, I'd opt for the Bosch barrel grip model.
Don

I have to go along with the crowd in putting the Bosch on top of the list. the thing is built very well and has all the features a professional would use often. It is also as durable as anything I have seen, something that cold be an important factor in your situation.
I have a review of this saw, with photos at the link below.
http://www.newwoodworker.com/boschjig.html
Tom Hintz www.newwoodworker.com
I have two jig saws -- a Makita 4320 and a Milwaukee (AEG in Europe). Each one gets a lot of regular use.
The Makita 4320 is a small saw that is better left for craft-type projects, The big tool is actually an AEG saw that is marketed under the Milwaukee brand name in North America.
I selected the "Milwaukee" over the Borsch jig saw due to price rather than features. (A year ago I was able to buy the Milwaukee/AEG tool for a really special price of $90 instead of the normal $140 -- which is the about the same price as the Bosch.)
Either the AEG or Bosch should suit your needs for a first-rate tools that will take use and even abuse and keep working for years. In Europe, you'll look for the AEG brand tools made in Germany ( I understand the Bosch line sold in Europe is German-made as well.)
--
Steve
www.ApacheTrail.com/ww/

Thanks for your answers, there were helpfull (well, some of them :-). I think i will go for more expensive Makita, but not sure yet. However would be great if someone is experienced enough to answer general questions:

Thanks a lot again rekrutacja