Jigsaws

I was looking for a 120v jigsaw in the $50 range. Local hardware store recommended the Skil 4390-01 (Amazon page here:

other ideas? Opinions on the Skil jigsaw?

Thanks!

Reply to
Rob

Yeah, spend the extra for a Bosch. There is no other power tool in which the difference in performance between cheap and good is as great as the jigsaw.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I have been using a Skil jigsaw for about 15 years now with great success, paid about $150 for it, great tool. That being said the one you are looking at is a good short term rough work tool, meaning it won't last long and will be a pain to use. Spend the extra money and buy a Bosch you won,t regret it

Reply to
sweet sawdust

What he said. I used a top of the line (consumer) Craftsman jigsaw for 10 years or more until I got my hands on a pro-quality orbital jigsaw. The difference is night and day. You'd think that as long as the blade is held securely and made to go up and down in a sawing motion, they'd all be the same. It just ain't so. There are two kinds of jigsaws in the world. Pro-quality orbitals and junk. For $50, you only get the latter, from any manufacturer.

DonkeyHody "I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet." - Unknown

Reply to
DonkeyHody

I picked up a Bosch on ebay for about $60. Got it from a pawn shop, almost brand new, case and all.

Be patient, selective, use the automatic bid assistant and you will get one and same some $$ at the same time.

D>> Yeah, spend the extra for a Bosch. There is no other power tool in

Reply to
mapdude

Waste of money. Get a Bosch or equal for $100 and up. Mostly up.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It'll do you if you want to thrash your way through a relatively rough cut.

If you are looking for a "good" jig saw that will produce good results and have convenient features, you want to look at the latest Bosch and or Milwaukee saws with the lever action blade release. You seriously need to be looking in the $150-$200 range to get a saw that you will enjoy using and give you nice results.

Reply to
Leon

I bought my older Swiss made Bosch on E-bay for $70. I was trading up from a B&D that I had grown to hate. It bounced and jounced, never cut clean, cut straight whem I wanted a curve, cut crooked when I wanted it straight, etc., etc. It also had a little thumbscrew to hold the blade in that, if I wasn't on my toes, would smash my thumb if I held it in the wrong place. The Bosch is like a surgical instrument compared to the B&D. It is a pleasure to use and is one of my favorite tools. If and when this saw ever needs to be replaced, it will definitely be with another Bosch.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

Well then...YOU SUCK!

Reply to
Robatoy

Hate to say it considering your budget, but I agree with the other replies. I upgraded from a B&D to a Bosch jigsaw, and the difference is really amazing. Not just a "Chevy to BMW" type comparison - more like a "Model T to BMW" comparison. The cheaper saws will cut wood, but they're really different tools than the nice ones. That said, you don't have to spend $150 on the newest bosch (1590/1591). You can probably find one of their older ones (1584 or

1587) for significantly less. These don't have exactly the same features as the 1590 (toolless blade change etc), but they're still head and shoulders above the cheap saws in terms of quality and performance. Try searching ebay for 'bosch (1584,1587)'. Based on completed auctions, it looks like you should be able to get one for less than $70 including shipping. Hope this helps! Andy
Reply to
Andy

I've been trying to kill my B&D saber saw for almost 30 years and the sucker just won't die... they just don't make 'em like that any more..lol

I thought it was finally going to bite it when a friend borrowed it to cut holes in 1 1/4" particle board for his bathroom floor, but it just did its' thing and laughed at us..

I looked at some of the newer ones and though I'm sure they work better and have more features, they're also a lot heavier... not a good thing for the stuff I do with one..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I second the advise on the Bosch.

One thing that I have always found to be true is that everyone has their own opinion about every kind of tool and who makes the best, but almost without exception, Bosch is considered the king of Jig Saws.

There is a good reason for that.

Reply to
Robert Allison

I looked at that same Skil recently but decided to spend the extra money and just got a Bosch 1591. Wow, I think I could write my name in plywood with that baby, I didn't know a jigsaw could be that smooth. That old line about only crying once when you pay for a good tool rather than crying every time you try to use a cheap tool is now my official policy. ;^)

Reply to
DGDevin

Second that. Forget the skil, ryobi, etc.... Buy stuff that'll remind you why you spent the extra $$ every time you pick it up.

You'll be a lot less likely to throw the bosch in frustration too. See, it saves you in repair costs too!

Anytime you need justification for tools, just post here.

jc

Reply to
Joe

"Skil" as a product line is designed as a consumer level entry line of tools.

The lone exception is the "77" saw wich I think is being redesigned.

If you don't expect much, you won't be disappointed.

I would not buy any "Skil" product being offered today.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

A puke green colored one? A drop off a 12' ladder onto a concrete driveway worked for me!

Reply to
Nova

I got one of their circular saws not long ago and so far it has performed just fine although I wouldn't expect it to last as long as a more expensive brand/model. All I wanted it for was cutting up sheets of OSB, if I'd needed a tool for a more serious job I'd have spent more. I believe Bosch actually owns Skil these days, the low half of a high-low product range I suppose, however much you want to spend they have something to sell you.

Reply to
DGDevin

My wife finally threw in the towel, gave me a Lee Valley gift certificate for Christmas. Boy was that a fun package to open. ;^)

Reply to
DGDevin

SB bought out Skil a few years ago and basically trashed everything but the "77".

I'm convinced the only reason for thr buy was to get the 77.

So yes, SB still owns Skil as well as Bosch.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I bought a Makita 4324 in December. I chose the Makita because it's smaller than the Milwaukee and Bosch. It's light, smooth and comfortable to use. Never had a problem with other Makita products.

I have power tools built by Milwaukee, Porter Cable along with other brands. You get what you pay for.

LdB

Reply to
L D'Bonnie