Jigsaws

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

... and Milwaukee. Of that group color is main difference, besides different "options" by model. DAGS on jigsaw review.
John

Waste of money. Get a Bosch or equal for $100 and up. Mostly up.

It'll do you if you want to thrash your way through a relatively rough cut.
If you are looking for a "good" jig saw that will produce good results and have convenient features, you want to look at the latest Bosch and or Milwaukee saws with the lever action blade release. You seriously need to be looking in the $150-$200 range to get a saw that you will enjoy using and give you nice results.

I bought my older Swiss made Bosch on E-bay for $70. I was trading up from a B&D that I had grown to hate. It bounced and jounced, never cut clean, cut straight whem I wanted a curve, cut crooked when I wanted it straight, etc., etc. It also had a little thumbscrew to hold the blade in that, if I wasn't on my toes, would smash my thumb if I held it in the wrong place. The Bosch is like a surgical instrument compared to the B&D. It is a pleasure to use and is one of my favorite tools. If and when this saw ever needs to be replaced, it will definitely be with another Bosch.
Chuck

Hate to say it considering your budget, but I agree with the other replies. I upgraded from a B&D to a Bosch jigsaw, and the difference is really amazing. Not just a "Chevy to BMW" type comparison - more like a "Model T to BMW" comparison. The cheaper saws will cut wood, but they're really different tools than the nice ones. That said, you don't have to spend $150 on the newest bosch (1590/1591). You can probably find one of their older ones (1584 or 1587) for significantly less. These don't have exactly the same features as the 1590 (toolless blade change etc), but they're still head and shoulders above the cheap saws in terms of quality and performance. Try searching ebay for 'bosch (1584,1587)'. Based on completed auctions, it looks like you should be able to get one for less than $70 including shipping. Hope this helps! Andy
Rob wrote:

I second the advise on the Bosch.
One thing that I have always found to be true is that everyone has their own opinion about every kind of tool and who makes the best, but almost without exception, Bosch is considered the king of Jig Saws.
There is a good reason for that.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Rob wrote:

I bought a Makita 4324 in December. I chose the Makita because it's smaller than the Milwaukee and Bosch. It's light, smooth and comfortable to use. Never had a problem with other Makita products.
I have power tools built by Milwaukee, Porter Cable along with other brands. You get what you pay for.
LdB
I have to agree with the Bosch recommendation, too. Bosch was the first maker to introduce the roller guide to support the blade from deflecting backwards during the cut. Every brand has that feature now, even the cheapos, but the quality and tolerances don't compare to the better brands. Although the "pro" saws are a bit heavier when you heft them, that's actually a benefit because the extra weight helps by reducing kick back, resulting in easier handling and a much smoother cut (the same applies for a circular saw).
Having both "D" handle and "barrel" style jigsaws, I'd recommend the "barrel" style. I think it offers better "feel" and control with that configuration. And I highly recommend the Bosch blades too, regardless which saw you get. I've found none better.
Cheers

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 05:55:12 GMT, "toolman946 via CraftKB.com"

Make that two of us. Mine is a top handle and I wish I had purchased the barrel grip.
I'll also add that I didn't use my Craftsman saw much, because the results sucked.
A GOOD jigsaw is a very handy tool. I would never use the cheapie for anything I could do with round blades. Since I can depend on the Bosch cutting squarely and reliably, it becomes the preferred tool on a regular basis.
I used the Bosch jigsaw and a speed square to cut 3/4" prefinished oak flooring on my recent floor install. The jigsaw was quieter, it didn't wreck the finish, I could use the same tool for many different cuts (crosscut, rip, combo, notch, scribed, taper...) , and I could use it in the work area without it creating mountains of dust everywhere. My "bench" was an overturned milk crate. <G>
On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 12:23:11 GMT, "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)"

I'm surprised. I haven't used a barrel grip, but in looking at them (powered down in a store) I was wondering why anyone would want that design. I'll see if I can try one somewhere.

Mine's a barrel grip and I much prefer it to the top handle (having used both). I think it has something to do with your hand being closer to the work surface.
jc

I've got smallish hands and the barrel grip was not comfortable for me. I'd recommend holding both and even doing a dry run in the store.
Lobby Dosser wrote:

I find that I don't have much trouble grasping a D-handle saw by the barrel. This was more convenient on my old one, which had a slide switch instead of a trigger that had to be latched, but can be done on the new one.
If someone wanted to take a chance on a newcomer, the Triton (Australian company) that Sears is currently selling as their "Craftsman Professional" has a removable D handle and some other "innovative" features that seem from what I've read to for the most part actually be useful. I've not used it so can't say how well it works.
--John
"Lobby Dosser" wrote

The Bosch 1584 has a barrel that's just about right for my hand but the 1591 is just enough larger to be not quite comfortable. Go figure !!
Max

For years I used the cheapest jig saws - once building a fence with a pineapple desgn cut out of the pickets - lots of work.
Then, I finally got myself one of those barrel jig saws ($169.00) - viva la difference! It was a Dewalt with one failing - the cast footpad! But did it ever slice through wod! It would cut through 2 x 4 material with ease. It had several settings selected by means of two levers (to this day I can't tell you what they were actually for!
I also bought a "better" sears model (#?? $40) at their outlet store or closeout bin - I'm a frequent "closeout/returns shopper) and found it as powerful as the DeWalt.
I've still got the older jig saws and they all work, but I've no reason to pick any of them up. As my SEARS is miles away at teh moment, I can't share the model number - likely its been re-issued as something with a "laser" anyway and discontinued otherwise. And the Dewalt was discontinued in favor of a model with a pressed steel base that will not fit the model I bought!
At any rate, spend a bit more or try the discontinued/returns/closeout bins and get some ass (higher amp rating a significant clue) in your jig saw and you will not regret the purchase.