Jigsaws

30 years ago Black and Decker actually made some good tools. Too bad, the choices they made since then.
Reply to
Mike Marlow

Nope.. actually has a metal case, remember those?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

what about dewalt and other brands?

Reply to
bigjcw1023

not to mention the hitachi CJ110MV??

Reply to
bigjcw1023

... and Milwaukee. Of that group color is main difference, besides different "options" by model. DAGS on jigsaw review.

John

Reply to
John Barry

I have to agree with the Bosch recommendation, too. Bosch was the first maker to introduce the roller guide to support the blade from deflecting backwards during the cut. Every brand has that feature now, even the cheapos, but the quality and tolerances don't compare to the better brands. Although the "pro" saws are a bit heavier when you heft them, that's actually a benefit because the extra weight helps by reducing kick back, resulting in easier handling and a much smoother cut (the same applies for a circular saw).

Having both "D" handle and "barrel" style jigsaws, I'd recommend the "barrel" style. I think it offers better "feel" and control with that configuration. And I highly recommend the Bosch blades too, regardless which saw you get. I've found none better.

Cheers

Reply to
toolman946 via CraftKB.com

Make that two of us. Mine is a top handle and I wish I had purchased the barrel grip.

I'll also add that I didn't use my Craftsman saw much, because the results sucked.

A GOOD jigsaw is a very handy tool. I would never use the cheapie for anything I could do with round blades. Since I can depend on the Bosch cutting squarely and reliably, it becomes the preferred tool on a regular basis.

I used the Bosch jigsaw and a speed square to cut 3/4" prefinished oak flooring on my recent floor install. The jigsaw was quieter, it didn't wreck the finish, I could use the same tool for many different cuts (crosscut, rip, combo, notch, scribed, taper...) , and I could use it in the work area without it creating mountains of dust everywhere. My "bench" was an overturned milk crate.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

here:

)

For years I used the cheapest jig saws - once building a fence with a pineapple desgn cut out of the pickets - lots of work.

Then, I finally got myself one of those barrel jig saws ($169.00) - viva la difference! It was a Dewalt with one failing - the cast footpad! But did it ever slice through wod! It would cut through 2 x 4 material with ease. It had several settings selected by means of two levers (to this day I can't tell you what they were actually for!

I also bought a "better" sears model (#?? $40) at their outlet store or closeout bin - I'm a frequent "closeout/returns shopper) and found it as powerful as the DeWalt.

I've still got the older jig saws and they all work, but I've no reason to pick any of them up. As my SEARS is miles away at teh moment, I can't share the model number - likely its been re-issued as something with a "laser" anyway and discontinued otherwise. And the Dewalt was discontinued in favor of a model with a pressed steel base that will not fit the model I bought!

At any rate, spend a bit more or try the discontinued/returns/closeout bins and get some ass (higher amp rating a significant clue) in your jig saw and you will not regret the purchase.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

I've been meaning to get back to thank everyone for the excellent info. So you're saying to get the Skil jigsaw, right? Just kidding-- pretty overwhelming endorsement for Bosch in this thread! They must be doing something right.

Thanks again to all!

Reply to
Rob

I'm surprised. I haven't used a barrel grip, but in looking at them (powered down in a store) I was wondering why anyone would want that design. I'll see if I can try one somewhere.

Reply to
Rob

Mine's a barrel grip and I much prefer it to the top handle (having used both). I think it has something to do with your hand being closer to the work surface.

jc

Reply to
Joe

I've got smallish hands and the barrel grip was not comfortable for me. I'd recommend holding both and even doing a dry run in the store.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I find that I don't have much trouble grasping a D-handle saw by the barrel. This was more convenient on my old one, which had a slide switch instead of a trigger that had to be latched, but can be done on the new one.

If someone wanted to take a chance on a newcomer, the Triton (Australian company) that Sears is currently selling as their "Craftsman Professional" has a removable D handle and some other "innovative" features that seem from what I've read to for the most part actually be useful. I've not used it so can't say how well it works.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"Lobby Dosser" wrote

The Bosch 1584 has a barrel that's just about right for my hand but the 1591 is just enough larger to be not quite comfortable. Go figure !!

Max

Reply to
Max

Reply to