Jigsaw recomendations?

Time to get a new one. Anybody offer an opinion? Corded vs Cordless? Features I should look for?

Also, anybody ever bought from "SuperPawn"?

-Jim

Reply to
jtpr

I bought a Bosch 1591 barrel body a few months ago. I'm very pleased with it. Its not cheap.

Bob

Reply to
bluemax1811-newsgroups

No question in my mind: the Bosch 1590EVSK. After years of using POS B&D jigsaws, I read a review of this jigsaw in one of the woodworking magazines. It was several times more expensive than what it replaced, but the old saw about you only cry once when buying an expensive tool. God knows I smile every time I use it.

It cuts through oak like the B&D cut through cardboard. It also doesn't cause carpal tunnel syndrome because of vibration.

I picked mine up at Home Depot for about $169, IIRC. I've had it for about a year.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

I would have to agree with the general consensus about the bosch. I have a Dewalt, Makita and the Bosch in the shop and the Bosch is buy far the favorite among the guys and myself included. Just the variety of blades that are available alone make it stand out from the rest. Be it that you can use Bosch blades in other brands they don't seem to work as well in any other saw. BTW just my 2 cents worth

Chris Melanson BLH Millwork

Reply to
Chris Melanson

Can you say "Bosch", any flavor you like?

SFWIW, If I had to replace mine, it would be cordless.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:1122346547.307111.132600 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Amortized over 10+ years, it isn't bad. Very little comes close to a Bosch in jig saws. Things this saw does with ease and accuracy other saws can't do at all.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Ditto. Although I hear the new Dewalt is supposed to be a contender. I'll stick with my Bosch for the next 10-15 years.

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

I have recently purchased a Bosch GST135, although I suspect it has a different number in the USA. (Overhead handle, 750 Watts, instant "clic" blade change, variable speed, soft start, 4 way pendulum cut and extra blade supports that can be moved in/out)

I'm a convert, it's nothing short of amazing, this thing just cuts like crazy, and is so easy to keep on a straight line. After struggling with an old POS B&D and a much cheaper Bosch (It's not bad, but the GST135 is an order of magnitude better) it's a revelation!!

It has a ton of power to easily cut 2 x 4, you may not get that in a cordless one. The cord is no real problem.

Not me

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

I've got a Milwaukee that I've been very pleased with.

-j

Reply to
Joe User

Want to buy my Craftsman jigsaw?

I need the money to get a Bosch. I'll sell it to you for $150!! I'll even throw in shipping, a case and any blades I have.

It has this neato feature that lets you turn the blade without turning the saw! Try that with a Bosch 1590!

-B

Reply to
No

I also have one of those great Craftsman jigsaws with that advanced feature.. The only problem is the blade cannot be tightened in the slot and wobbles like crazy. So I will be discount mine to only $100.00 and will also throw in any blades I have and include free shipping at that price too!! :) I bought it sometime in the early 80's and it's still going strong so you know it is a great tool! Built to run forever but doesn't cut worth a crap Chuck

Reply to
CC

I just bought one of these, and it's a very nice tool. As someone said, amortize the cost over 20 years...

IMHO, a lot of it is due to the blades (made in Switzerland). They are *much* better than the old style blades.

The package says they also fit DeWalt, Makita, and Porter-cable saws. Has anyone tried the Bosch blades in other brands of saws?

Reply to
Ron Bean

I use 'em in my Milwaukee; the local borg doesn't have the Milwaukee brand blades. Bosch blades work fine.

I used a rough cut blade about 4" long to trim some PT 4x4 posts for my daughter's swingset. Novel to me, since I'd never seen a jigsaw blade that long before.

4" blades are easy to bend. damhikt.

-j

Reply to
Joe User

They work great in my Hitachi.

Reply to
CW

I'll sell mine for $10 and thrown in the case. I hardly ever used it. That's not the case since I got my Bosch 1591.

Bob

Reply to
bluemax1811-newsgroups

Absolutely! I tried some DeWalt blades in my Bosch 1590EVSK . . . they looked right but the cutting was dismal. I was disappointed - I wanted the DeWalt product to do better. I have several of their 10 inch dircular saw blades and they cut beautifully.

While I really prefer my Bosch jigsaw I have used it along side DeWalt and Porter-Cable jigsaws and they are both decent tools. Never-the-less, an owner of a Porter-Cable who was working with me recently commented about the refinement of my Bosch jigsaw; "Man, that thing sounds like a good sewing machine!"

Tim Ellestad

Reply to
Ellestad

Had I known my Craftsman was worth that much I wouldn't have given it away with a pile of blades when I bought my Bosch!

Reply to
Ray

Ditto on the blades. I use Bosch Blades in an $80 Makita. Cuts like a=20 dream... A scroll blade polishes the cut a lot like the real scroll saw =

(The Delta).

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR