Jigsaw purchase

Maybe it's just the fact that it feels like I have better control with the barrel grip vs. the top handle. Irregardless, I have small hands and I prefer the barrel grip. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

It was not intended to be but rather a wake up call.

I agree.

It also applies to almost every thing you need to purchase.

There ain't no free lunch as the old expression goes.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Irregardless? What does that mean?

Reply to
LRod

On 11/17/2005 11:15 PM LRod mumbled something about the following:

irregardless

adv : regardless; a combination of irrespective and regardless sometimes used humorously

Reply to
Odinn

I struggled over the jigsaw purchase as well, and I bit the bullet and bought the Bosch and I am so very glad I did. I was able to compare it to a Craftsman (newest model) and a Skil and there was NO comparison.

The only other jigsaws I tried that compares are Hilti and Festool. They are VERY nice but I did not see additional features or a smoother feel to spend another $100+. Hilti does have one that is $200 but doesn't have any of the features Bosch has.

Lowes does special order as was mentioned in a previous post if you want the barrel version, which they offered to do for me.

I don't think you can do better than the Bosch. I have 4 pieces of Hitachi power tools that I really like, but I could not rationalize anything less than the Bosch. That said, I have heard from a few woodworking friends and my brother-in-law (general contractor) who like the new DeWalt, which Lowes just got in and it is $10 less than the Bosch.

Good luck, Doug

Reply to
ddakadmc

Can we all say, "read the orginal post again"?

Reply to
kkfitzge

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 23:24:43 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Odinn quickly quoth:

"Without no regard." he drawled, with the same inbred accent as the person who wrote it. ;>

Egad! What fracking revisionist dictionary spawned that mess?

-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|-

Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Here's what Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, Tenth Edition, has to say about "irregardless." "Irregardless originated in dialectical American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as

1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use "regardless" instead."

Dick "I am not a revisionist" Durbin

Reply to
Olebiker

Many people believe a "Webster's" dictionary is authoritative. However, there is neither a copyright on the name nor a set of standards for publishing a "Webster's" dictionary. Therefore, anyone can publish his own version of a "Webster's" dictionary without meeting any generally agreed-upon definitions.

Additionally, Webster's dictionaries tend to be "descriptive" - that is, describing how words are being used in society, rather than how they *should* be used.

The more prescriptive American Heritage College Dictionary, Third Edition, provides these guidelines on "irregardless:"

ir-re-gard-less adv. NON-STANDARD. Regardless

Usage note: The label Non-Standard does only approximate justice to the status of irregardless. More precisely, it is a form that many people mistakenly believe to be a correct usage in formal style but that in fact has no legitimate antecedents in either standard or nonstandard varieties. The word was likely coined from a blend of irrespective and regardless.

[with apologies for continuing OT]
Reply to
Squanklin

Ooo... ooo! I know this one! The same one that defines 'fracking'.

-John in NH

Reply to
John Girouard

You would have been quite pleased with the Hitachi. Nice saw.

Reply to
CW

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:02:42 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, John Girouard quickly quoth:

"Fracking" is a Battlestar Gallacticaism and probably hasn't hit the revisionists' dictionaries yet.

----------------------------------------------------------- -- This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels --

Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases ==================================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It's more important with jigsaws though.

A cheap drill still drills holes, it just doesn't have the same reliability or battery life. A good jigsaw though is a whole different tool. I can look at the edge _afterwards_ and tell which jigsaw I used (cheap B&D or Bosch barrel body)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Is the barrel grip suitable for use on vertical surfaces, or completely upside down? There are certain times on a job site where it would be handy to be able to do so.

JP

************** Inverted.
Reply to
Jay Pique

Now the question I have is: if you have a Bosch barrel body, why do you still have a cheap B&D?

Reply to
LRod

You make an excellent point. I think many of us start with B&D POS jigsaws out of ignorance. I read about the Bosch initially in (I think) FWW. They haven't steered me wrong yet.

I could not believe the difference in the two saws. As for other high end jigsaws, who knows? FWW?

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I don't - the Bosch is a friend's which I borrow when I'm doing anything better than firewood.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I got home today and the power tool fairy had arrived with the new Bosch 1590. I needn't have worried about the size of the saw.

I didn't even change clothes before loading a blade and cutting out a couple of pieces for an Adirondack chair. I wish I didn't have to go to a meeting at church tonight or I would finish the rest of the cuts. This thing is amazing.

Dick Durbin

Reply to
Olebiker