Jigsaw purchase

Page 2 of 3

Actually, it's unproven yet that such is the case. In years past, he's used three iterations of barrel grip Bosches, but the single instance of the new Bosch in the 2005 season (Episode 1708) was too fleeting (at least to my eye) to categorically assert whether it was a 1590 or 1591. The fronts of both saws are indistinguishable from one another and the front is all one could see in that episode.
Now if someone happened to see him using the saw by watching the shop shots during filming and would let me know which it was, I'd be happy to back away from my assessment.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
I agree. That barrel grip saw is incredible. You can make an easy S cut in a 2x10 and be pretty much square along the cut edge.
If you have doubts, go to amazon.com and read the reviews.
I really took advantage of the angle cuts you are able to do with it. Also, you can adjust the speed, the blower, and the aggressiveness of the cut (how much it moves forward each stroke).
Holding it by the motor gives you much better control with no carpal tunnel moves of the wrist.
Jeff
Olebiker wrote:

Can we all say, "Cheapskate"?
Lew
Maybe the 1590's size would be an advantage - with the extra weight and just the "substantial-ness" of the tool, as well as how smooth it runs and cuts, it doesn't jump around or require as much guidance as my old B&D did. You don't need to push down on it or anything, just kind of direct where you want it to go, and it does so smoothly and without "complaining". I'd reconsider, and at least try the 1590 (or 1591) if you can. Andy
I went back to Lowe's today and played with the 1590 and, in spite of its mass, it has more features that I really like than anything else out there. I am going to save the gift cards for another day, though. I ordered the Bosch online tonight for $133 including shipping. Lowe's price was $169 plus tax.
Olebiker wrote:

You won't regret it. Even if it didn't have *any* features, it's still be a winner. There's virtually no vibration and it cuts oak like my old B&D POS cut 1/4" plywood.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Maybe I'll give that old Skil to one of my sons-in-law.
Andy wrote:

Is the barrel grip suitable for use on vertical surfaces, or completely upside down? There are certain times on a job site where it would be handy to be able to do so.
JP ************** Inverted.
Lew wrote: "Can we all say, "Cheapskate"? "
Why? The money isn't the problem. It's the size of the saw.

That's unfair.
People who haven't _used_ a good jigsaw just don't appreciate how much better they are.
Andy Dingley wrote:

It was not intended to be but rather a wake up call.

I agree.
It also applies to almost every thing you need to purchase.
There ain't no free lunch as the old expression goes.
Lew

It's more important with jigsaws though.
A cheap drill still drills holes, it just doesn't have the same reliability or battery life. A good jigsaw though is a whole different tool. I can look at the edge _afterwards_ and tell which jigsaw I used (cheap B&D or Bosch barrel body)
On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 12:36:13 +0000, Andy Dingley

Now the question I have is: if you have a Bosch barrel body, why do you still have a cheap B&D?
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
The pattern seems to be: Guy with Black and Decker/Skill jigsaw reads this group. Goes out and buys a Bosch. Proclaims that it is the best saw in the world. I have a Hitachi. I too upgraded from a B@D. The Hitachi is a huge step up in performance. Is the Bosch better? Who's to say, the guy that previously owned a B@D and upgraded to the Bosch?

CW wrote:

You make an excellent point. I think many of us start with B&D POS jigsaws out of ignorance. I read about the Bosch initially in (I think) FWW. They haven't steered me wrong yet.
I could not believe the difference in the two saws. As for other high end jigsaws, who knows? FWW?
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

This is the reason that I don't put much stock in the tool opinions on here. I don't believe that people are giving bad advice, they just very often don't really have any broad point of reference.

I don't - the Bosch is a friend's which I borrow when I'm doing anything better than firewood.
Can we all say, "read the orginal post again"?

features/quality you want and what you can justify paying. Then the most important thing is how a tool feels to you. If the Hitachi feels good, buy it. I have never seen it, but am willing to bet that the people who own it like it. It may not be as good as the Bosch, but is probably cheaper; so it represents an equal value.
I got home today and the power tool fairy had arrived with the new Bosch 1590. I needn't have worried about the size of the saw.
I didn't even change clothes before loading a blade and cutting out a couple of pieces for an Adirondack chair. I wish I didn't have to go to a meeting at church tonight or I would finish the rest of the cuts. This thing is amazing.
Dick Durbin