Jigsaw purchase

Page 1 of 3

I have received some Lowe's gift cards for my birthday and plan to use them to buy a jigsaw. Everything I read about the Bosch 1590 is great but my hands are kinda small and that is a pretty big chunk of tool.
I was looking at the Hitachi jigsaw today. It has a little less power and reqires a hex wrench to rotate the sole. It fit my hand a lot better, but I have not seen any reviews of it. Do any of you have any experience with it?
Dick Durbin
Check out the Bosch 1591 barrel grip. that's the one Norm uses. I like mine a lot.

I'll ditto the 1591 Barrel grip version. I have pretty small hands as well and the barrel grip works just fine. It's, I hope, the last Jigsaw I buy. Cheers, cc
On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 21:23:08 -0700, "James \"Cubby\" Culbertson"

I've used both the barrel grip and the top handle versions. I prefer the top handle. I suspect that a small handed person would too.

That certainly sounds reasonable if you have small hands. Seems the barrel grip would be a bit hard to grasp for some one with small hands. I have pretty large hands and still small the top handle. When I was about 10 my father owned an old Sun Beam Saber saw that was ALL metal and a barrel grip. That sucker would get too hot to hold. When I finally saw a top handle style I found that it was not as hot to handle for long periods. Now that every thing is plastic I doubt that the heat is as much of a factor anymore.

Maybe it's just the fact that it feels like I have better control with the barrel grip vs. the top handle. Irregardless, I have small hands and I prefer the barrel grip. Cheers, cc
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 20:16:47 -0700, "James \"Cubby\" Culbertson"
Irregardless? What does that mean?
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
On 11/17/2005 11:15 PM LRod mumbled something about the following:

irregardless
adv : regardless; a combination of irrespective and regardless sometimes used humorously
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 23:24:43 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,

"Without no regard." he drawled, with the same inbred accent as the person who wrote it. ;>

Egad! What fracking revisionist dictionary spawned that mess? <sigh>
-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites
Here's what Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, Tenth Edition, has to say about "irregardless." "Irregardless originated in dialectical American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use "regardless" instead."
Dick "I am not a revisionist" Durbin
Many people believe a "Webster's" dictionary is authoritative. However, there is neither a copyright on the name nor a set of standards for publishing a "Webster's" dictionary. Therefore, anyone can publish his own version of a "Webster's" dictionary without meeting any generally agreed-upon definitions.
Additionally, Webster's dictionaries tend to be "descriptive" - that is, describing how words are being used in society, rather than how they *should* be used.
The more prescriptive American Heritage College Dictionary, Third Edition, provides these guidelines on "irregardless:"
ir-re-gard-less adv. NON-STANDARD. Regardless
Usage note: The label Non-Standard does only approximate justice to the status of irregardless. More precisely, it is a form that many people mistakenly believe to be a correct usage in formal style but that in fact has no legitimate antecedents in either standard or nonstandard varieties. The word was likely coined from a blend of irrespective and regardless.
[with apologies for continuing OT]
Larry Jaques wrote:

Ooo... ooo! I know this one! The same one that defines 'fracking'.
-John in NH
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:02:42 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, John

"Fracking" is a Battlestar Gallacticaism and probably hasn't hit the revisionists' dictionaries yet.
----------------------------------------------------------- -- This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels -- http://diversify.com Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases =================================================================
Unfortunately, the OP indicated he wants to use Lowe's coupons. Lowes does not sell the 1591.
Bob

I wonder if they offer more choices on line.
Leon said:

Lowes can order anything you want from a current vendor's lineup - but you DO have to wait for their next ship to come in. And good luck finding anyone qualified to read the catalog and successfully _place_ the order. The help around here has degenerated into $5.75/hr. warm bodies. And if it's a non-stock item, expect to pay a premium.
With that said, I love my Bosch Jigsaw - the feel of precision and balance are hard to beat. The first time I used it, I could have kicked myself for waiting so long to replace my existing jigsaws - which both suck and will be gleefully placed in our next Garage Sale. (One of which is an ancient B&D with a metal case - and as Leon points out, it get's so hot you can't hold it - same with the same era sheet sander.)
Greg G.
Don't know about Lowes, but I do know that HomeDepot does NOT accept giftcards for payment of online or catalog orders - and only have the 1590 on the shelf, the 1591 is ONLY listed online and in the catalog - and at least the local HD will NOT special order the 1591 for instore purchase
John
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 14:10:46 GMT, "Leon"

Lowes will order "anything" that they have access to....
They have been and remain a huge Bosch customer.