Jigsaw jams too often

Page 4 of 4
On 5/16/2016 2:59 PM, notbob wrote:

My dewally has a blower.
--
Jeff

Apparently, I got the cheap one. I recall it came with a palm sander.
I also bought the DW 13V drill gun, not realizing there was such a thing as a drill/driver. Duh.
I've leaned a lot, since then. I now have a used Hitachi drill/driver. Waaaay better. ;)
nb
On 5/17/2016 2:41 PM, notbob wrote:

I have a 10v hitachi drill and impact driver set. I got it because I wanted a light duty drill. Well the drill is ok (chuck sucks won't tighten and stay tight especially in reverse) but the surprise was the little impact driver. its really nice.
I like both (don't get me wrong), I wanted light weight and the ability to stand up.
I am not a fan of many of the dewally stuff. Some are good, many lately have me wondering what happened to them. To me they are becoming consumer grade.
--
Jeff

Mine is a 13V drill/driver with mostly dead batteries. The batteries will hold up fer around-the-house stuff, but my buddy who gave it to me is a pro and wanted longer bat life, so got a new 18V Hitachi. I can buy new batteries, but the old one's are OK, fer now. I'd already gone out and bought a true impact driver, thinking that was my only solution:
<
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ImpactDriverWithBits.png

....but that was before I knew about "drill/drivers". Love my Hitachi, even with the old batteries. ;)
nb

Yeah, my Hitachi drill does that too. Seems to be a generic problem with Hitachi chucks. Otherwise a nice drill.
John
On 5/17/2016 2:09 PM, woodchucker wrote:

If you ever consider replacing, consider a Festool drill. I know, I know...
I have owned a 9.6 volt Panasonic drill/driver, the best until I bought the Festool, 2- Dewalt 9.6 volt drills/drivers, and a 12 volt Makita drill/driver and 12 volt Makita impact driver. And won an 18 volt Bosch impact.
I used the Makita impact as much as the drill up until the batteries were pooping out and I replaced with the 15 volt Festool with the attachments. Since getting this drill I on an occasion or two have used the Bosch impact, mostly as a drill so that I don't have to switch driver bits with drill bits. Anyway the Festool drills seem to have an amazing amount of power. I can start a 3" #10 deck screw into a 2x4 to fasten to another 2x4. I can drive slowly, quickly, stop, start slowly, what ever I want. I'm not sure I have ever stalled the drill.
Anyway Festool is really getting serious about selling their drills and they can be had for less than $300 these days.
Just food for thought.

A friend bought a DeWalt jig saw several years ago. You could be sawing and suddenly no longer cutting. The blade would come right out of the saw. We never quite figured out how to hold our mouths to get the saw to permanently hold the blades.
On 5/17/2016 6:24 PM, Leon wrote:

That's still giving up 2 legs and 2 testicles .. less than $300, last time I looked they were $500 which in my mind was not worth it.

--
Jeff

http://festools-online.com/564513-festool-cordless-drill-txs-li-2-6-plus.html

Why do I feel like I have to be over 18 to visit that site?
Oh, and guys look: FREE T-SHIRT OR CAP!
Puckdropper
On 5/18/2016 8:33 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

Hey! LOL. Just bringing your attention to the new pricing.
While my lone Festool drill does not completely replace my 18 volt impact, should my impact poop out I will probably switch over to a ratchet to manually install lag screws, if the Festool drill can't drive them, but so far it does. I probable have not used the impact over 4~5 times in the last 4-1/2 years since getting the Festool drill. My Festool drill has pretty much made my impact obsolete.
FWIW I visited the Festool road show and was given the option of a Festool cap or a Festool 15 volt battery. I took the battery. ;~)
On 5/18/2016 8:33 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

Hey, it you can sell used cars with ten thousand balloons and a giant flag, or two ...
Besides, Linda loves my NEW Festool hat I won for visiting their road show last month.
She wears it all the time ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

That was inevitable when B&D took them over. Used to be B&B made decent pro tools too - but hat is decades ago.

I don't know that it was inevitable - B&D has owned DeWalt for eons - but since B&D has chosen to make DeWalt their main brand in Home Depot and Lowes maybe 15 years ago, they have definately moved more to the consumer side of the scale.
I am reminded that a long time ago, like early 90s, there was an ex-B&D engineer in the group. He said B&D tools were designed for 9 hours lifetime - because the average homeowner used the tool for 10 or 15 minutes at a time, 4 or 5 times a year, and a 9 hour life was plenty for that market.
I don't think DeWalt tools are quite to that point.
John
On Sat, 21 May 2016 03:44:30 -0000 (UTC), John McCoy

B&D took over DeWalt in 1960 - earlier than I had thought - and moved all power tool production off-shore about 2002. In 1992 B&D started rebranding all their "pro quality" tools to DeWalt. It was about this time we saw the deWalt line starting downhill. In 2004 they bought PorterCable.

yet.

It's a tool that will often get the job done, but not handily as it ages and wears, as you're finding out. If you use it enough to justify a better tool, now is the time to upgrade.
The old sayings around here for twenty years or more: in #2 below, et al, :
A great excuse to buy a new tool, and, "Buy the best, and only cry once ..."
By our old Economist friend Luigi Zanasi, (AKA on FaceBook Luigi Dena Ch'ŏ Zanasi)
http://www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in

I took one of them apart once. The orbital mechanism was a pin on a shaft that spun in a slot connected to the blade. As the shaft spin, the pin (located way off center) would move in the slot and thus change height and result in the blade going up and down. Chances are, that's where your trouble is.
Like the others (well respected members of the group, btw) have said, it's time to replace it. A friend of mine let me borrow his Bosch, and when I said "Thank You" for the loan, he said "don't thank me, you're just going to have to go buy one." I did.
Puckdropper
On Mon, 16 May 2016 10:31:18 -0700 (PDT) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

buy a bosch you will not regret it especially if you do a lot of jigsawing