Jigsaw jams too often

Your anecdote condemns century link[*], not refurbs in general.

[*] A company that has little respect and poor customer service.
Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Is this a router provided by an internet company? Most often you are leasing or being provided equipment as part of the "deal". Seldom, unless you are a brand new customer, do you get anything but refurbished equipment and I seriously doubt any of that stuff is really refurbished so much as recycled. I have been down that road.

Reply to
Leon

Guess there's always the other side of the story to every story. Sucks that your experience was what it was, but I've not had that kind of experience with refurbs. I guess you'd have to question their refurb process, huh?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

You do have to be smart about it ...

Reply to
Swingman

Although not what it was even five years ago, and having built my own computers for years, and repairing my laptops when needed, I don't mind taking a chance on a Dell "Certified Refurbished" from their Outlet store, at a considerable saving and with the same warranty as new.

I will say that most all laptop construction these days pretty much sucks, and Dell seems to be leading the pack in that regard.

Reply to
Swingman

I doubt Century-Link even bothers with the mechanics of modems. Sure, they gotta put their own splash page on the software, but my modem is made by Zyxel, one of several modem brands C-L uses.

No argument, there. 8|

nb

Reply to
notbob

But, you're taking C-L's word that the modem is a refurb, when it is more likely just a return from another customer.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

"If you want first quality oats you need to be willing to pay first quality prices. If on the other hand you are willing to settle for oats that have already been through the horsr, THEY do come a little cheaper"

Anything but Dell's highest end laptops tend to fall into the "already been through the horse" group, along with consumer grade HP/ Compaq and the low end Acer and Asus models. (and yes, even the low end Toshiba)

Reply to
clare

And they don't sort the bin between returned for upgrade or returned on termination of service from the returned reported as defective..

Reply to
clare

I returned a "unit" to Comcast and all returns go into a pile of other "Units". I suspect they all get labeled as refurbished and sent back out with the installer when they sign up a new customer. The installer then learns whether it was a good unit or bad unit that was turned in.

Reply to
Leon

I've had trouble with refurb electronics. Really screwy problems.

Reply to
krw

My wife has a Lenovo Yoga 3. The construction is impressive, though it's a little slow. When I replace this tablet, I'll probably buy a Yoga 900, or whatever replaces it.

Reply to
krw

I haven't bought a new computer since I retired. We've got 4 at present. One of them develops problems about once a year. I go down to our local recycler and pick up a refurbished one, usually faster and with more memory, for $100 or so.

I've even had good luck with garage sale ones :-).

4 years is a pretty good lifespan - even if a new one would last longer, which is not a given, it'd be obsolete by then.

As best I can remember, I've had one refurbished one fail a week after I got it. It was replaced promptly. I had one from a garage sale fail, but I only paid $25 for it and I got some usable DIMMs and a good hard drive out of it.

But I do frequent backups so I never lose much, if anything, when one of the computers dies. If it was a business, I wouldn't trust anything but a new computer from a company like HP and I'd be sure to use RAID disks on it and do daily backups.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Yeah they certainly do not want to pay someone to test them and make sure they work right. Quality Control buy the customer works real cheap when you have a monopoly. Even when you do not too.

Reply to
Markem

I have always found the IBM thinkpads to be slower, than others, and Lenovo too.

My company gave me new HP laptop (2 years ago), it is the pits. HP loads it with a bunch of junk that actually kills the machine, reimage it and it's better, but still sucks.

My home laptop is an Asus, which I consider to be the better consumer grade right now. It has an I5 and beats out my I7 HP.

I have been looking for a new laptop for work. I haven't decided as it's not that easy to find something really fast, and solid, without issues. Each one seems to have a weakness. And opinions are like assholes. Sometimes its the idiot behind the keyboard, others it's a real issue.

Reply to
woodchucker

Pretty hard to beat Lenovo stuff

Reply to
clare

The "proffessional" grade Lenovo T Pad with i5 and 8 or moer Gb RAM is a FAST and reliable machine

I'd be hard pressed to take an HP if it was free. (actually I have one I got free, and I wopudn't want another)

Reply to
clare

HP's are not like they were a while back. Our Gen 9's started rebooting.. Turns out it's a feature. Except our customers were not happy about the new feature.. Neither were we. We had serious issues with Gen 9's... systems that failed miserably, machines that would reset the date every few minutes. Required a new driver... WHAT!! a driver for the date?? Yep HP is driver happy. We moved to CISCO's... looks like they don't QA their machines. Every machine failed, and required replacement parts .. of course you buy new, but the parts are refurbs. And many of them failed. (not a knock on refurbs since I have done well with refurbs).

Now we are moving on to Lenovo servers, and we'll see how they go.

One of my customers decided to host with Dell in Dell's data center. So it's all Dell. It's turning out the numbers from them are slower than equiv equipment elsewhere. Real slow. So I'm not impressed with them,and they have been working on it. Their i/o is so slow, since we can't see what they've done I can't tell if its config or machines. The SAN is brand new, and we are the only ones on it.

And that's why it's getting harder to figure out who's king right now.

But there is a lot to be unimpressed about.

Reply to
woodchucker

HP has such a great reputation for many years they are still able to trade on it and now sell cheap junk.

OTOH, one Carley becomes President we will get HP computers government issued.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

woodchucker wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

Trackpoint. Stupidly only available on Thinkpad. Best. Mousing. Experience. Ever. Ever!

Oh, and the keyboard isn't bad either. I remapped the two keys by the arrow keys, so can use them for Page Up and Page Down or use the originals above Backspace. Perhaps the most important keys for reading long online documents.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper