Jigsaw jams too often

Page 3 of 4

I used to carry a wired mouse with me. I have several old IBM (fantastic quality) mice, and used a PS/2 to USB adapter with them. (It has to be an "active" or "smart" adapter and not just a wired through like some switchable mouses included.) Once I got the trackpoint, I quit carrying and using the mouse.
Puckdropper
On 20 May 2016 04:20:24 GMT, Puckdropper

Don't know about best but it's a *hell* of a lot better than the pad. BTW, my work Dell has a track stick.

The old buckling spring keyboard puts everything else to shame. I used one at work for over fifteen years. I think the one I have here is about that old, too.
Puckdropper says...

Some HP Elitebook models have a Trackpoint, or a reasonable facsimile therof.

Pretty hard to beat Lenovo stuff

I doubt Century-Link even bothers with the mechanics of modems. Sure, they gotta put their own splash page on the software, but my modem is made by Zyxel, one of several modem brands C-L uses.

No argument, there. 8|
nb

But, you're taking C-L's word that the modem is a refurb, when it is more likely just a return from another customer.
On Thu, 19 May 2016 19:34:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

And they don't sort the bin between returned for upgrade or returned on termination of service from the returned reported as defective..
On 5/19/2016 11:22 AM, notbob wrote:

Is this a router provided by an internet company? Most often you are leasing or being provided equipment as part of the "deal". Seldom, unless you are a brand new customer, do you get anything but refurbished equipment and I seriously doubt any of that stuff is really refurbished so much as recycled. I have been down that road.
notbob wrote:

Guess there's always the other side of the story to every story. Sucks that your experience was what it was, but I've not had that kind of experience with refurbs. I guess you'd have to question their refurb process, huh?
--
-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
On 5/19/2016 1:20 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

I returned a "unit" to Comcast and all returns go into a pile of other "Units". I suspect they all get labeled as refurbished and sent back out with the installer when they sign up a new customer. The installer then learns whether it was a good unit or bad unit that was turned in.

Yeah they certainly do not want to pay someone to test them and make sure they work right. Quality Control buy the customer works real cheap when you have a monopoly. Even when you do not too.
On 5/19/2016 11:22 AM, notbob wrote:

You do have to be smart about it ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

I've had trouble with refurb electronics. Really screwy problems.
On Thu, 19 May 2016 12:04:39 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:

I haven't bought a new computer since I retired. We've got 4 at present. One of them develops problems about once a year. I go down to our local recycler and pick up a refurbished one, usually faster and with more memory, for $100 or so.
I've even had good luck with garage sale ones :-).
4 years is a pretty good lifespan - even if a new one would last longer, which is not a given, it'd be obsolete by then.
As best I can remember, I've had one refurbished one fail a week after I got it. It was replaced promptly. I had one from a garage sale fail, but I only paid $25 for it and I got some usable DIMMs and a good hard drive out of it.
But I do frequent backups so I never lose much, if anything, when one of the computers dies. If it was a business, I wouldn't trust anything but a new computer from a company like HP and I'd be sure to use RAID disks on it and do daily backups.
carrying a cross.
On 5/19/2016 7:55 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

HP's are not like they were a while back. Our Gen 9's started rebooting.. Turns out it's a feature. Except our customers were not happy about the new feature.. Neither were we. We had serious issues with Gen 9's... systems that failed miserably, machines that would reset the date every few minutes. Required a new driver... WHAT!! a driver for the date?? Yep HP is driver happy. We moved to CISCO's... looks like they don't QA their machines. Every machine failed, and required replacement parts .. of course you buy new, but the parts are refurbs. And many of them failed. (not a knock on refurbs since I have done well with refurbs).
Now we are moving on to Lenovo servers, and we'll see how they go.
One of my customers decided to host with Dell in Dell's data center. So it's all Dell. It's turning out the numbers from them are slower than equiv equipment elsewhere. Real slow. So I'm not impressed with them,and they have been working on it. Their i/o is so slow, since we can't see what they've done I can't tell if its config or machines. The SAN is brand new, and we are the only ones on it.
And that's why it's getting harder to figure out who's king right now.
But there is a lot to be unimpressed about.
--
Jeff

On 5/18/2016 5:17 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

That makes perfect scene.

LOL. It would be very hard to justify replacing a Bosch unless you use it "a lot" and it does not have the quick change blade feature.
IIRC Swingman has an older Bosch that has the blade change set up that is similar to operating a combination lock. I think he pulls out the owners manual each time he changes blades. :-)
Hi, I'm the OP. Sounds very much like my jigsaw's time is not long for this earth. Thanks for the advice, on all parts.

My Bosch does have the quick-change feature.
I don't "justify" anything to do with woodworking. It's a hobby. By definition, it can't be justified. ;-)

That would suck.

If it is a hobby and you can afford it that is enough justification. :-)