Jigsaw jams too often

Page 2 of 4

Your anecdote condemns century link[*], not refurbs in general.
[*] A company that has little respect and poor customer service.
On 5/19/2016 12:18 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Exactly ...
Although not what it was even five years ago, and having built my own computers for years, and repairing my laptops when needed, I don't mind taking a chance on a Dell "Certified Refurbished" from their Outlet store, at a considerable saving and with the same warranty as new.
I will say that most all laptop construction these days pretty much sucks, and Dell seems to be leading the pack in that regard.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

"If you want first quality oats you need to be willing to pay first quality prices. If on the other hand you are willing to settle for oats that have already been through the horsr, THEY do come a little cheaper"
Anything but Dell's highest end laptops tend to fall into the "already been through the horse" group, along with consumer grade HP/ Compaq and the low end Acer and Asus models. (and yes, even the low end Toshiba)

My wife has a Lenovo Yoga 3. The construction is impressive, though it's a little slow. When I replace this tablet, I'll probably buy a Yoga 900, or whatever replaces it.
On 5/19/2016 7:34 PM, krw wrote:

I have always found the IBM thinkpads to be slower, than others, and Lenovo too.
My company gave me new HP laptop (2 years ago), it is the pits. HP loads it with a bunch of junk that actually kills the machine, reimage it and it's better, but still sucks.
My home laptop is an Asus, which I consider to be the better consumer grade right now. It has an I5 and beats out my I7 HP.
I have been looking for a new laptop for work. I haven't decided as it's not that easy to find something really fast, and solid, without issues. Each one seems to have a weakness. And opinions are like assholes. Sometimes its the idiot behind the keyboard, others it's a real issue.
--
Jeff

The "proffessional" grade Lenovo T Pad with i5 and 8 or moer Gb RAM is a FAST and reliable machine
I'd be hard pressed to take an HP if it was free. (actually I have one I got free, and I wopudn't want another)
On 5/19/2016 10:50 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

HP has such a great reputation for many years they are still able to trade on it and now sell cheap junk.
OTOH, one Carley becomes President we will get HP computers government issued.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca says...

I used to feel that way, but my company-issue machine is an HP that is actually quite nice.

Trackpoint. Stupidly only available on Thinkpad. Best. Mousing. Experience. Ever. Ever!
Oh, and the keyboard isn't bad either. I remapped the two keys by the arrow keys, so can use them for Page Up and Page Down or use the originals above Backspace. Perhaps the most important keys for reading long online documents.
Puckdropper
On 20 May 2016 04:20:24 GMT, Puckdropper

There are other manufactureres that use a trackpoint typee device - but none that work as well and as consistently as the Lenovo ThinkPad version.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news:96hujb12m53ajaen6su1t44514jqbacdp5@ 4ax.com:

Do any names come to mind? I don't know what I'd do if I had to go back to that tortorous (sp?) touchpad. I'm just keeping my eyes open for when this machine needs replaced.
Puckdropper
On 20 May 2016 19:01:20 GMT, Puckdropper

Replace with another Lenovo - but I've had Acer and Toshibas with the swizzle stick, as well as my firs laptop - a 3 letter name I can't remember at the moment.
On 20 May 2016 19:01:20 GMT, Puckdropper

The crappy HP Elitebook, some NEC and Samsung, Fujitsu, some Del Latitude, some Toshiba and soime Acer use a "track stick" type device in the center of the keyboard.
My first laptop - an AST had the track-stick interface as well.

Thanks, good to see they're out there. I want to evangelize these things when I can, other than the learning curve (which is really quite short) they're better in every way than the trackpads. Plus, my mouse cursor doesn't go flying and randomly click on things as I type.
I was playing with Linux on an iBook and the cursor went flying as I was typing. Annoying.
Btw, has anyone got experience with Linux on the PowerPC processor? I'm running MintPPC, based on Debian. Trouble is, I can't build anything because of an error I can't find any information on. Yeah, I know this is kinda like smoothing with an ax: Possible and even sometimes does pretty good but just not very common. Oh well, just thought I'd toss it out...
Puckdropper
On 2016-05-20 3:01 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

I just use an external USB wired mouse, I hate the trackpad too. Problem is around here anyway most external mice are going wireless in terms of general availability, they eat batteries for lunch.
--
Froz....

On Fri, 20 May 2016 16:00:23 -0400, FrozenNorth

Good wireless mice are good for over a month on a battery
On 5/20/2016 7:06 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I use Logitech's by choice and they are routinely good for over a year, and the newer one (M705) has an expected 3 year expected.
Only time will tell ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
< snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.

Actually a good mouse and or in my case a good track ball, Logitech M570, the battery lasts well over a year.. Probably closer to 2 years.

Depends how much it is used - nbut yes, a month is a very short time. If a user is mousing heavily 8 hours a day, not too many will last a year. At one customer's office they run rechargweable AAA batteries in the mice - with 2 sets on the charger circulatinf every couple of months.
On Fri, 20 May 2016 16:00:23 -0400, FrozenNorth

I have Bluetooth mice for all of my computers. The little portable mouse I have for my laptop and tablet is OK, as long as I'm working at a desk. It doesn't work on soft surfaces (the buttons are on the bottom).