Jigsaw jams too often

Page 1 of 4
Hi, My Black & Decker jigsaw works if I ease into a cut, but recently has start ed to jam (and I hear the motor spin really fast and I hear gears slip) if I try to cut too fast. As I release the trigger, it starts to move again i f no force is applied to the cut. So, it works, but only if I bring it up to full speed before starting a cut and avoid any sudden cuts or turns. Is this something easily repairable, or time to buy a new one? Advice appreciated. Many thanks Theodore.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in

You don't say what model it is, so just taking a wild guess at the problem I suspect the orbital action has become worn, and is allowing the reciprocating motion to disengage when the blade is forced backward.
I'm also going to guess that it is something not easily or cheaply repairable.
Note that B&D are on the lower end of the price and quality spectrum. If you use a jigsaw frequently, you might want to look at a higher-end model, like a Bosch.
(having said that, I recently repaired a 35 year old B&D jigsaw, but I had to have a machinist friend make a part for me to do so, which isn't an option most people have).
John

....or a Makita.
Make sure any jigsaw you purchase has a built-in sawdust blower. Screw all the other features. I bought a DeWalt and it has NO blower. I gotta lean over the top of the jigsaw to manually blow the sawdust outta the way to see the cutting line! Totally infuriating. 8|
nb
On 5/16/2016 1:59 PM, notbob wrote:

Unfortunately jigsaws with blowers don't always clear the path either.

I kinda suspected that, but some blower has jes gotta be better than no blower, at all. ;)
Here is the best reviews I've found:
http://www.rockler.com/how-to/testing-top-shelf-jigsaws/
Amazing! The Mafell can be had fer under $1K. ;)
nb

I have an old Milwaukee that is a stellar saw but the blower in ineffective. It does have a hole for locating a vac hose and that works pretty good but I still never use it.

plus. I've thought about buying one a couple of times but every time I use my Bosch, I decide there is no way I could justify replacing it.
On 5/16/2016 6:37 PM, krw wrote:

Much as I like my Festools, No way I'd let go of my Bosch jig saw ... and mine is one of the older ones, with the archaic blade changing dance routine.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Keep it. My old one died (needs a part that's no longer available) after several decades and quite frankly compared to the old one the new one is a piece of crap. I find that blade guides or no, half the time it decides it's going to cut a bevel whether I want one or not. I suspect that the quick change doesn't hold the blade as firmly as the old screw-from-the-top clamp.

I would suspect you would be wrong.
On Tue, 17 May 2016 07:04:38 -0400, "J. Clarke"

On Mon, 16 May 2016 18:54:36 -0500, Swingman wrote:

I've got one of those as well. Never compared it with a newer one as this one still works like a charm. And I bought it refurbished!
carrying a cross.
On 5/17/2016 11:29 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Leon was right though ... I do have to RTFM to change the blade.
Moreso the older I get.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 5/17/2016 11:29 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

LOL, Probably refurbished because it was too hard to remember how to replace the blade. A stellar saw other than that single element.
On Tue, 17 May 2016 17:12:48 -0500, Leon wrote:

When I worked part time at Woodcraft, one of the power tool reps told me to always buy a factory refurbished tool over a new one. His logic was that when a tool was returned, the reason was often hard to determine. So the repair crew went through and checked everything. A more thorough testing than the new ones received.
carrying a cross.
On 5/18/2016 5:17 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

My rationale exactly, when I buy a refurbished/returned/scratch n'dent laptop from Dell when I need a new(er) one.
Hasn't failed me yet ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On Wed, 18 May 2016 22:17:25 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

Or it could be a latent defect that got through test in the first place and will again every time they do the same tests. I wouldn't worry too much about it for tools but I'd never buy any refurb electronics.
krw wrote:

I buy refurb electronics all of the time, and have for a lot of years. Never had a single problem with any of the stuff I've bought. Often times the refurb process is to simply replace the offending part with brand new and make it available. Hardly any different from buying brand new. Generally speaking they also upgrade any parts that have been superseded by revisions or updates as well.
--
-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net

Lucky you!
I've had Century-Link replace my DLS/wifi modem 3 times. The first two shipped to me were refurbs, neither of which solved the problem.
**NOTE: Century-Link will ship nothing BUT refurbs. NO new modems shipped to customers**
The third was also a refurb, which the C-L tech brought to my house. He tried to tell me, "that's the way it is, sometimes". I told him I was having none of it. I wanted it working right!
He finally relented and said we could try one more thing, but he'd hafta go to the shop. Back in about 15 mins, he brought a BRAND NEW modem. Same model as the previous three, but not a refurb. It worked!! Problem solved. End of story. (which is true)
What were you saying about refurbs? ;)
nb

refurbed - and if something has an intermittent problem it is very likely the refurb process won;t find and fix the problem. A lot of what is sold as refurb is just stuff that had damaged packaging or has been dropped in shipping do the manufacturer will not puit on full warranty.