Jigs for jigs ...

More on a chair building saga, with an emphasis on the jigology, including the design of a jig for a jig (Multi-router).

Scroll on down to the subtitle.

Reply to
Swingman

Very Cool jigs. I actually imagined that I heard David Marks in the back ground splainin the ideology.

Before the dust settles you'll be dancing the ji..... ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I've always backed off from chairs thinking too time consuming and complicated. Be interested in what you estimate a set of eight might take you in terms of time with the jigs made and the "Jig" set up.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Thank you!

While I've made benches and one-off chairs, a matching set of dining chairs has always struck me the same way.

Tables, and most cabinetry, are just variations on a theme I've done plenty of, so I decided that since I'm not getting any younger, I needed to bear down and approach chairmaking in a methodical manner in order to establish a methodology to mitigate the time and complication.

Besides, I like the challenge and problem solving probably as much as having a set of chairs to match some of my other creations. ;)

I'm on the verge of letting you know the answer to that ... I am estimating about a hard week from what I've seen thus far. That's milling, fabrication of the parts, and assembly, not finishing.

I may be surprised ... or may surprise myself. As in most of my woodworking endeavors, it is the preparation that takes the most time. I'm very close to having that out of the way. The biggest problem is finding the time to do what I feel is ample preparation on my own projects.

Reply to
Swingman

Another way of doing it would be to make a concave fence to match the outside of the curve and drill press.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

| More on a chair building saga, with an emphasis on the jigology, | including the design of a jig for a jig (Multi-router). | |

|| Scroll on down to the subtitle.

I just finished admiring your prototype chair photos over on ABPW. Looks really good!

Morris Dovey

Thanks ... although I'm sick of chairs at this point, the angle of the dangle is about quantified.

Reply to
Swingman

But you do know, it determines the heat of the meat, right?

Reply to
Tim Taylor

Only if she is wise to the rise in your Levis.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

All depends on the mass of the ass, which is key to designing a chair.

Reply to
Swingman

Guess as far as a chair is concerned, the torque of the dork is not a primary criteria.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett