Jigs and fixtures

I have access to a laser machine at work and was going to make cut some fixtures out ( the will be VVEEERRRYYY accurate ) is that cheating as far as woodworking goes???????hehe I have made some zero clearance inserts on the laser and works great.......Brian

as
I don't think its cheating at all :) Its making good, efficient use of the resources at hand. It's not as if you are making full pieces of furniture on the laser machine, so go for it.
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 5 Reviews: - Bosch 3912 (GCM12) 12" Compound Miter Saw - Dowelmax Doweling System - Ryobi CDL1802D Pro Series 18v Cordless Drill - Eze-Lap Diamond Sharpening Stones - Incra TS-III Table Saw Fence ------------------------------------------------------------
Brian wrote:

We have a laser cutter here at work too (plus a great shop with all the tools, and I do mean all!) as we make architectural models for our projects. One thing I've found when cutting plastics is at a certain depth, I believe it's right past a 1/4 inch, the laser will start to "bend" creating a non-perpendicular line on the edge. The light will refract (proper terminology?). Doesn't do it much, but the thicker the piece, the more refraction.
Just something to keep in mind if you're cutting plastics. And it also depends on the power of the laser, as ours will cut up to an inch thick plastic, but will only score metal.
But I don't think it's cheating. Made some really cool depth gauges for the router and TS cutting the plastic and scoring the measurements with the laser. Pretty neat to have that at my disposal!
Mike
Creamy Goodness wrote:

You both suck! :)
The one we have will cut 1/2 inch steel and 1/4 stainless and so far 1 inch acrylic. And also 2 inch wood "2x4 that is" Can also do 3/16 aluminum. The edge has a kerf but not that much....Brian
What is your watts????? Our laser is 1500 watts....Brian
In routerdom there is a common quirk: Frequently to make jig "A" you need jig "A"! Some examples at http://www.patwarner.com ******************************************************