Jig saw wanders ... am I doing it wrongly?

Tried out my new toy today - a hand-held jigsaw (as at http://s7ondemand4.scene7.com/is/servlet/izoom/BandQ/5397007003154_001c_v001_zp ?&$230x230_generic$ ). Trouble is, it doesn't cut straight. I find that I have to hold it at about 20degrees off the marked line (in a clockwise direction) in order to get it to cut in the right place. I've tried loosening my grip and also ensured that the sole plate was properly down on the work piece (which was laminate-faced chipboard about 15mm thick).
Is it a technique thing? If so, what am I doing wrong? If not, is the thing defective, and how would I confirm that?
--

Henry Law Manchester, England

Fresh blade. First circular cut dulls the blade on one side, making it lead.

So, you bought a crap jigsaw. Most of them are.
That's why every time there's a jigsaw thread hee or in uk.d-i-y, there's a chorus of people saying to spend the money and get a Bosch barrel body or maybe a Makita.
You buy crap tools - they work badly. QED.

Maybe if you didn't swallow the next time you suck a dick you'd be a little more helpful!
--

"Anybody can have more birthdays; but it takes
balls to get old!"
Henry Law wrote:
> Tried out my new toy today - a hand-held jigsaw (as at > http://s7ondemand4.scene7.com/is/servlet/izoom/BandQ/5397007003154_001c_v001_zp ?&$230x230_generic$
> ). Trouble is, it doesn't cut straight.
Doesn't look like a Bosch or even a Milwaukee to me.
Lew
Henry, First order of business, does the blade you are using match the material being cut. Just like any saw, there is a correct blade for the material. If that is ok, then see if there is a stroke adjustment for the blade. This alters the amount of forward stroke of the blade each time a cut is made. This can be affected by blade used and the material being cut. Sometime you just have to play with the amount of stroke to get a better cut. And, yes ALL jig saws wander. They are really made for following odds shaped cuts rather than straight cuts. I have used my circular saw to cut the straight sections, leaving the odd shapes to the jigsaw. However I have found after trying several others, the Bosch does seems to cut straighter than the other yellow jigsaw I have. Lastly if you do choose to use the jigsaw to make straight cuts, use a fence to guide the saw and the slower the you move the saw forward the better your control. Good Luck Paul

http://s7ondemand4.scene7.com/is/servlet/izoom/BandQ/5397007003154_001c_v001_zp ?&$230x230_generic$ )

just do it normal
-