Jig Saw Jumps

I just bought a new B&D Jig saw. When I try to cut material it jumps up and down on the table. Is this a fault of my tech, lack of experience or do I need a new blade?

Thanks,

Evon

Reply to
Evon
  1. There should be an adjustable "foot" like on a sewing machine to hold the material down on the table.
  2. You may be feeding the material too fast
Reply to
rj

Someone put a downchip laminate cutting blade in it on April 1, you're the lucky victim.

Reply to
Eric Ryder

My first jigsaw - a $50 craftsman - did that too. A good blade (e.g. Bosch Progressor's) helped a little. Gentle hands helped a little. Selling it at a garage sale and buying the Milwaukee 6266-22 Jigaw fixed the problem for good. No more jumpin'...

Reply to
mttt

It helps if you keep the cut line out over the edge of the table.

"Ev>I just bought a new B&D Jig saw. When I try to cut material it jumps up and

Reply to
Larry Kraus

I have a B&D saw, even with a decent blade it still jumps around anf doesn't cut decent at all. The mechanism inside flexes too much, I thought it was the blade bending until I looked closely, it lets the blade angle inside the cut and creates too much friction.

Reply to
Eugene

Wow! You took my story! Exact same experience. What puzzles me is that I don't understand the mechanism that would cause such behavior in such a seemingly simple mechanism. Would a blade shaft that had play in it cause such behavior by causing the blade to be pulled up and then pushed down in a random fashion, thus having the blade come down upon what, in a well-machined shaft's case would be cut wood, but in the shaft with play partially upon uncut wood?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Providing the machine runs fairly smooth without stock being cut. The blade needs to be installed with the teeth cutting direction down, otherwise even with a moderate amount of hand pressure downward on the material being cut, the stock will lift off the table and cause the jumping.

Reply to
Chipper Wood

:) Nice thing was - SWMBO is almost *never* out in the gar^H^H^Hshop. But last year she wanted to Jigsaw something and was getting pretty annoyed with the Craftsman. Garage saled it the very next weekend, grabbed the Milwaukee and then brought her back out for a return try. Scored a nice point on the before/after experience. She understands that sometimes it *is* the tool.

Me neither.

Reply to
mttt