Jig or Ideas for making a clamp rack

Page 1 of 2

I want to make a clamp rack for my bar and bessy clamps. Looking for something along these lines
http://www.shoptours.org/member2/jypipeclamp.jpg
I'm struggeling to figure out how to efficiently cut all the slots for the clamps. I have a dado blade but don't know if it could make a deep enough cut, and I wanted to avoid doing it all with my jig saw. Any ideas?

It might help if you were to tell us just what you have in terms of tools to make the cuts.
Two thoughts come to mind when looking at that picture.
One is that the individual shelves are each supported by a wood angle underneath. You could just construct each shelf individually and put some kind of common board on the back to brace/support it. Make sure everything is glued and fastened well and it would provide adequate strength for the clamps. You would essentially be putting this whole thing together from a number of component parts.
The other idea is to go ahead and make the top piece out of one piece of plywood. But drill a big hole with a hole saw towards the back. Then cut to meet the hole with a regular saw. You could do this on the table saw, radial arm saw, miter saw, circular saw, etc. And if a small peice is still there holding the wood together, then use your jigsaw.
Good point about tools. I have a pretty full shop minus a bandsaw. Which as I write this would be a easy way to do it. After I posted this, I did get the idea like you mentioned of drilling out the end of the slots with a Forster bit and then completing the cut with either the Table saw or jig saw.
I have about 12-15 clamps I need to store (for now) so I'm not sure if that justifies making a router template.
It sounds like you're thinking the rack should be a shelf with notches cut out, like the horizontal piece is all one board. why? Why not cross cut all the pieces so that they're separate, then attach them to the clete separately? If you're worried about strength, you could put a piece of 1x1 across the top of all the boards to tie them together.
brian
brianlanning wrote:

Because that is a logical & simple solution? :)
-- dadiOH ____________________________

No, no no. It must be far, far more complicated than that. It must involve at least every tool in the shop, preferably twice. And at least a coupla' trips to the hardware store. And maybe two trips to the lumber yard. It should have inlays, dovetails, wedged through tenons (with ebony wedges, of course) and a nice mixture of stainless, brass and brushed aluminum hardware. Finish should be french polish, nothing else will do.
Yeesh!
-Tim
(Whose clamp rack is 1x2 strips nailed across the studs)
And you could always do what I did, because I was in a bit of a hurry. A 4 foot 2x4, two pieces 3 1/2 inch long of the same 2x4 for spacers, and glue/screw the thing on the wall in a good location. Strong enough, I had the piece of 2x4, and the clamps come off, go on, with enough ease to actually use the thing.
If it's too complicated, expensive, or whatever, the clamps will sit on your bench, adorn a garbage can lip, or just get in the way.
Oh, if you have a lot of clamps, use a 6 foot 2x4.
Hope this helps.
Regards, Rich
Tim and Steph wrote:

I use a 1x2 with a back piece that will screw into the wall joists. I simply clamp the clamps onto the 1x2, and loosen off as needed. They don't need to be clamped really tight, just a couple of easy quarter turns after running the bottom part up to secure to the wood. Slightly fussy for one or two, but I have a few seconds to spare.
Tim and Steph wrote:

Hey! Mine is too. I thought that was an original idea :-(
Yeah, few feet of 1x2 and a hammer and BAM... groovy clamp rack ;-)
I always raised an eyebrow at those woodworkers that spend most of their time making kewl stuff for their woodshop.
Wed, Jan 4, 2006, 4:14am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@apk.net (JoeBarta) puzzedly mumbles: <snip> I always raised an eyebrow at those woodworkers that spend mostof their time making kewl stuff for their woodshop.
I don't much go that route either, but every once in awhile it's fun to make some very fancy gadget, made just to hang some cheape tool, or whatever, on, in the shop.
What puzzles me is the guys who ask these very basic questions, that 20 sec of thought on the throne, or just asking their mother, would give the answer.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"? - Granny Weatherwax
J T wrote:

Call me a crabby old shit, but I suspect that many of these basic questions are for projects that never get beyond the "I was thinking of..." and "how do I..." stage.
Not directed at the OP because he did have several clamps and you probably wouldn't have several clamps unless you've actually built a few things. Actually I'd say the number of clamps one has is probably a good barometer of how much woodworking actually gets beyond that "thinking of" stage... and that rusty pair of C-clamps on the shelf don't count. Now... if those two rusty C-clamps are hanging on their own nifty glued and screwed smartly labeled plywood clamp holder...

Or how tolerant your respective SWMBOs are of your rust hunting...
Tim and Steph wrote:

Mine's not always so tolerant... but I straighten her ass out damn quick ;-)

Lotta clamps come in handy for that?
Tim and Steph wrote:

Clamps and a roll of duct tape. Seriously though, been divorced for a few years now so you can see I'm probably not someone you'd want 'handlin women' advice from (unless you want them handled out the door). I did learn that straightening out women works very well in theory. In practice... well... let's say there are a few kinks.
Thu, Jan 5, 2006, 12:51am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@apk.net (JoeBarta) who wants to be called names, doth sayeth: Call me a crabby old shit, but I suspect that many of these basic questions are for projects that never get beyond the "I was thinking of..." and "how do I..." stage. Not directed at the OP because he did have several clamps and you probably wouldn't have several clamps unless you've actually built a few things. Actually I'd say the number of clamps one has is probably a good barometer of how much woodworking actually gets beyond that "thinking of" stage... <snip>
Oh, I don't know. I know of people who have a whole shop full of tools, and haven't used a one.
My belief is, that a lot of these guys just want someone else to do their thinking for them. Their first implulse is to ask someone how to do whatever. Either that, or they are so lacking confidence in their abilities, they think they can't do it on their own.
Apparently my background is radically different, because my first impulse is always, "How can I do this myself?". I've got about 10 clamps in my living room, on a small stand I made for doing small jobs in the house. Took about 3 seconds to decide that a bar along each side would take clamps hanging from it. I suppose, if you worked at it, you could make it more complicated, but it wouldn't work any better. Designed the stand too, no steenkin' plans - all glued, no fasteners, held together with clamps until the glue set - works fine. The only prob is, I need to put it out in the shop, and make a more advanced version for in the house. The design for that one will be worked out in my mind, same as the first one.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"? - Granny Weatherwax

That's true. I've built some goofy jigs over the years, just because. Sometimes, you just have to do a complicated solution.

Well, if you're new to the game, you (or, I do, anyway) have a tendency to seek answers, just to make sure you're not missing something basic.
Nice Granny quote, BTW!

You did forget that it Must Require the purchase of a new tool. Perhaps a Bandsaw, as the OP did mention he does not own one.

Slaps forehead, shakes head in disgust...
Wow! I am slipping! Jeez. Thanks for covering for me!
Tim and Steph wrote:

Why do you guys keep building clamp racks? I thought every shop had them built in. Isn't that what those two long track-like things that come up from the side of that big door that never gets opened are for? My clamps hang from just one of them, but that is because I haven't built up a reasonably modest collection of Bessies or Jorgies yet, just 8 or so of them and 10 or 12 pipe and bar clamps. I haven't yet found a good way of using these built-in clamp racks to hold the C's, the wooden screw clamps or the picture frame clamps yet and, while most of my longer quick-grips are on the rack, they are a little too high for the smaller ones ... but what do you want for clamp racks built into the shop before it was even a shop. I have been trying to remember what this room was before it became my shop so that I can understand why those clamp racks were put there, but it escapes me. Maybe my wife can remind me after she comes in from scraping the ice off of her windshield....
Dave Hall