Jewelry Box Hinges

What is the best way to align and attach hinges on a jewelry box? I have made several, but after cutting the top off so that the grain aligns, which looks great, I struggle with attaching the hinges. Usually after attaching the hinges and closing the box, the top is a little to the left or right or not quite flush to the front. It's a pain to do all this work and not have the top line up. What methods are being used to make the cuts for the hinges and how do you hold the base and top to ensure precise alignment.

Thanks,

Ray

Reply to
Ray Dunn

router jig.

Reply to
bridger

any more info. available? Ray

Reply to
Ray Dunn

lots. what kind of hinges you using?

Reply to
bridger

would use any that i could get to work! Currently using straight 1/2 x 1 inch hinges. What do you suggest? Ray

Reply to
Ray Dunn

If you are using surface mount hinges, why not mark your cutoff line for the top & pre install the hinges before you cut (on the top only-) You know-- align them & drill the holes & even put the screws in & then take them out after you scribe side lines for the hinges on the bottom portion of the box so you can line them up again. Depending what method you use to cut the top off, you will loose a little wood-- So actually installing the hinges fully would only aggrivate you further. PH

Reply to
robinphil2000

For something as small as a jewelry box, I'd avoid using a router to mortise the hinges because it's a bad risk. Generally when you are mortising the hinges, the project is nearing completion. You've put in countless hours, and the last thing you want is a mishap with a router running at 15-20k rpm.

I recently finished a jewerly box and did the following:

  1. position the hinges on the box portion exactly where you want them, then clamp them on with an 'f' style clamp.
  2. mark with a mechanical pencil the exact location (height, width, depth).
  3. Unclamp the hinges.
  4. using a razor blade and a small hammer, carefully tap out stop cuts on the lines drawn above.
  5. Still using razor blade and hammer, chisle out bulk of material until the hinges fit.
  6. perfect the mortise with just razor blade or 150 grit sandpaper
  7. install hinge on lower portion of box.
  8. align and clamp lid to hinges and repeat starting at step 2

here is a few pictures (note the broken razor was actually more useful than the whole one due to it's size):

Todd the wood junkie

Thanks Todd! That gives me a lot more info. How do you hold and align the hinges to the top after they are mounted on the bottom? My sides must be flush, bottom and top (no overhang). I guess I'll just try measuring accurately once the bottom hinges are mounted. Thanks again.

Reply to
Ray Dunn

Ray,

This was my first attempt at small hinges, so you may find a better way.

I used a wooden handscrew clamp to hold the lid to the opposite hinge I was marking. The trick is to mark one hinge location without a clamp on it (just your fingers, while you trace the hinge), then carefully clamp that hinge and take the second clamp off so it can be marked.

Worked for me after only a few bobbled clamping attempts. If you mess up, erase and start over. Once you have the marking done perfectly, the rest is easy.

Todd

Reply to
Todd the wood junkie

Depends on the hinge and how you want them mounted. I used barrel hinges which are hidden, and the only thing you have to worry about is drilling the hole at the same spot in the top and the base, which is no big deal with a drill press (just set a couple of stop blocks on the drill press table to position the pieces in the same spot).

It's also easy to attach surface mount hinges. Just using auto centering drill bit and make sure the top and base are aligned when drilling (first mount the hinges to the base, then to the top).

Reply to
larrybud2002

I place my hinges by hand, and then mark the outlines with a sharp knife. I set depth with a small mortising gauge, and set the depth to half the thickness of the hinge barrel. Then I carefully pare with sharp chisels, set the hinge in the socket, and mark the center of the hole with a sharp awl. Then drill a pilot hole, use a waxed stainless screw to tap the hole, and then as the last step install the brass screws.

Also, it helps if you mount the hinges prior to final sanding ... then if you are off a hair with any of the screws then the difference gets sanded off. If you are careful with the marking, mortising and screw installation then it doesn't much matter.

Brusso hinges are by far the nicest but also fairly expensive. Cheers, Nate

Reply to
Nate Perkins

Well, *I* feel your pain. You've gotten a lot of "cut this, then clamp the two together and mark the other part, then cut that" stuff, but it doesn't answer the fundamental question. The problem is that once you've got hinges on the bottom part, the other halves of the leaves have to be marked on the lid, and if you put the lid on the box, you can't get inside it to mark where the hinges go. Catch 22. So you're left with a completely unsatisfactory process of fiddling and jiggling and having everything come out a little crooked in spite of all that. Does this sound familiar?

I have about concluded the the only thing to do here is make the lid a little oversized to the front and sides. Mark the hinge locations on both pieces, chisel out half the barrel height from each piece, screw the hinges on, then plane the top until it matches the bottom perfectly. I've tried all kinds of ways of clamping the lid perpendicular to the box so I could mark the hinge locations, and it never comes out quite right. I think doing it all unfinished and planing away the little bit of extra is about the only way to ever get there.

Reply to
Silvan

Here's my 2 bob's worth :) Mark and set the hinges in on either the top or base. Cut down some of the screws which you will be using to fix the hinges so that when they are place through the hinge you only have a mm or so showing. Sharpen the ends with a small file or if you've more then ten fingers on a grinder. Place the lid (or base) in position. It should now be sitting on the sharpened ends of the screws. Give it a sharp tap and presto, you have centre marks for the screws. Screw a spare hinge in place, mark around it and let it in. Has been working for me for years. Hope I explained this satisfactorily. I find doing a job and telling someone how to do it two very different things ;) all the best John

Reply to
John

Hrm. Could work. Hafta give that a try next time. Thanks...

Reply to
Silvan