JET XACTA-LIFT

Does this bring the router up to change the bits above the table? It doesn't say that in the description (it says it has 2.5" of movement, which seems inadequate) but you sure can't reach the router below the table.

Anyone have this? What do you think of it?

Reply to
Toller

Certainly adequate for adjusting the bit height... but not enough to bring the collet above the table.

Pull the whole lift out of the table, router and all, and lay it on its side on the table to change bits. Not as difficult as it sounds, and only a little bit less convenient than changing bits in a non-table-mounted router.

Yep. Like anything else, it has its pluses and minuses:

  • Sure beats a table-mounted router *without* a lift.
  • Height adjustment is much easier with the lift than with the router.
  • Easy to make precise, repeatable height adjustments.

- Swapping routers in and out of the lift mount is a real PITA. If you can afford a second router, put one in the lift and _leave_ it there. If your budget won't accomodate that, buy an extra router base on eBay, and leave

*that* in the lift -- and swap the router motor in and out.
Reply to
Doug Miller

Doug,

Make4 life easier for yourself and purchase the bent wrench from CMT and leave the router where it is. As I recall, Jessem (Router-R-Lift) at

is the OEM for several manf, like Jet. Just remove the insert plate (has hole in it that router bit comes up thru) and use the bent wrench to loosen/tighten the collet. I have Freud router mounted in mine and the locking mechanism to stop the collet from turning is easily accessed from the top with the insert removed. Other routers, the stop mechanism may not be quite so handy and you have to pull the whole thing up and out of the table as you stated. I purchased the 26mm wrench CMT used to offer for the Hitachi router and filed it open to 27mm (I believe) to fit the Freud router.

Works like a charm and the only time I have to pull the router up is when it gets flooded like we did on 12 July. But hey, 3 feet of water does a great job on cleaning out routers...............

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

I have the Jessem Router-R-Lift and to change bits I first take out the removable insert plate. Then using an electric drill with a 1/4 inch hex bit I raise the router enough to change the bit.

The drill makes it a lot faster, and saves a lot of cranking.

I am using a Porter Cable router.

Gary

Reply to
gkemper

Sorry, the one I have is the Mast-R-Lift.

Gary

Reply to
gkemper

I have the original Rout-R Lift. All the magazine comparison reviews always say that it does not allow changing the bit from above the table. With the big PC router in it I never had any problem doing so with the insert ring removed. With this router you use two wrenches; the lower one was at a bit of an angle but worked fine. I now have a bent wrench ( I think from Woodpeckers) and it is easier to use. John

Reply to
John Siegel