Jet shop filter ok to run without filters?

Page 2 of 2
Leon wrote:

I'm a little late coming into this thread but one thing to watch for is motor overload, the less resistance and higher cfm will load the motor to a greater level.
basilisk

AHHHH.... That's sort of the question that was hiding in the back of my mind when I asked if it could harm the unit! Brings to mind the folks that put low resistance mufflers on their cars and lose the back pressure that the engine might need..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

It's difficult to say without the fan curve to look at. For a finely tuned, engineered system, that may be so. I think that's hardly the case for "generic" air cleaners. Removing the static loss from the filter flattens the system curve, shifting the operating point lower and to the right: lower static pressure and higher cfm. Assuming constant speed and efficiency, power draw will be higher; the fan laws relate power to the cube of cfm. However, the squirrel cage likely is running higher on its efficiency curve at the lower static point. I doubt the small increase in power places the motor in any danger of burning out. But, again, it's difficult to say without looking at the fan and system curves. If that's a concern at all, my Jet filter has 3 speed settings. Just avoid using the highest setting.

Yep... I'm guessing that you could just take the "squirrel cage" fan out of the filter and run it without problems..
Part of the reason for removing the filter is to not need to run it on anything but low (1 of 3) speed..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Well, I've had a 10" box fan from Wally World running in a shop window for most of 2 years and it's getting a tad noisy.. lol