Jet shop filter ok to run without filters?

Probably a stupid question, but... Is there any reason that running it as a "fan" can hurt or make it less effective..

Looking ahead to summer and was going to put an exhaust fan in the shop... Thinking of venting the Jet to the outside instead...

It's ceiling mounted and should pull the hot air off the (10') ceilings.. I can't think of how removing the filters could hurt it.. Just more air flow, right? Would it be better to leave the outer filter on, to keep dust out of the fan, or would the dust just blow on through?

thanks,

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

The biggest problem that I see is that "you" would be breathing more dust.

Reply to
Leon

I'd be concerned about protecting the motor and bearings. The slight gain in CFM without the filter likely won't make a worthwhile or noticeable difference. I have a washable filter, so fo me, it would not be a hardship.

Reply to
MikeWhy

If he vents it to the outside, the dust should be blown out with the hot air.... rather than some of it recirculating back into the shop. No?

Reply to
Robatoy

The original question suggesta that he wants to use it like a ceiling fan to circulate the higher, warmer stratum of air throughout the shop.

Reply to
phorbin

Isn't that what it does by default?

Reply to
MikeWhy

Thinking of venting the Jet to the outside instead.

Reply to
Robatoy

If he vents it to the outside, the dust should be blown out with the hot air.... rather than some of it recirculating back into the shop. No?

Well maybe. It will be vented outside but that vented air has to be replaced and outside air may bring in more dust than what may only be floating around inside. Eventually inside filtered air will clear out with filters. Dusty outside air is limitless. That said, I don't use an air filter at all as I most often work with an open garage door and the breeze through there would probably limit the effectiveness of a room air filter.

Reply to
Leon

Not sure why, Leon.. The air going into the filter wouldn't be recirculated into the shop, it would go outside..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Nope.. vented outside... I'm thinking of ducting it about 5' to a dryer vent type setup in the wall..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Good thought, Leon.. hadn't occurred to me about replacing the air..

In my case, outside air isn't an option, as this setup would be when it's WAY too hot and humid to work outside.. My shop is actually a large room in the house, so I guess I'd be drawing replacement air from the great room, which is a lot cooled than the shop..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

My concern also, Mike.. Do you think the outer filter would protect the motor? I'm thinking that the main increase in CFM would be by removing the inner filter..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

OK, so you want to move the hot air out... I'd wonder if this would create low pressure inside which would draw outside hot, humid air in through doors, windows and/or chimneys depending on how air tight your house is.

Reply to
phorbin

Compared to not using a filter, for sure. ;) The static pressure on the inner bag filters is pretty large. Mine are ripping away from their attachment points on the frame. However, even this much seems small compared to losses ducting it into a dryer vent hose, as I read you mention elsewhere. A powered exhaust vent set into the wall might do just as well. Maybe move the air cleaner close to and pointed at the vent, and whatever makes it out will be good enough. You might also consider venting the DC outside, but that has its own set of problems.

Reply to
MikeWhy

And then the great room air is replaced with hot air from outside. If you are paying to run an AC, it may run into quite the expense.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Concerning longetivity of the motor and bearings, do you have a regular fan in the shop? Is it holding up OK? I would not be concerned, myself.

Reply to
Leon

If it has sealed ball bearings, yeah; brass bushings, no.

Reply to
Steve Turner

I'm a little late coming into this thread but one thing to watch for is motor overload, the less resistance and higher cfm will load the motor to a greater level.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

I don't think it would..

2 year old house with a lot of insulation and double pane windows.. I'm thinking that it might draw some of the cool air from the great room, though..

That's a factor, as I figure that when using the filter vented to the outside, I won't be using the AC in the shop..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Well, we're lucky enough to not have to be too concerned with the expense, Ed.. Last year we ran the master bedroom AC 24/7 all summer, the shop AC about 12 hours a day and the great room unit when we had folks over, and our highest bill in 2 years was a little under $250 a month.. After a lifetime in California, we can live with that, for sure.. That would be our LOWEST bill in a lot of years, there..