Jet Parallel Clamps... NOT Parallel?

Page 1 of 2
Am I wrong or are parallel clamps supposed to be parallel? On my Jets, the end clamp section tilts in a bit and the adjustable end tilts in a bit (1/32-1/16"), after tightening.
Is there an adjustment procedure with these or are parallel clamps just supposed to be "close to parallel?"
--

-MIKE-

On 3/24/2010 4:38 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Considering that a clamp of that type is not machined, nor has the production engineering methodology for precise tolerances, "close" probably counts.
My Bessey's are close enough not to worry about, and the results have so far been perfect enough. :)
Now, when Festool starts making parallel jaw clamps ....
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Think I remember reading that the jaw faces aren't completely parallel until they're clamped down at which point they do align forming a perfectly square clamping surface.

That is correct however that point is at a specific pressure at any given opening distance. Change the opening distance or pressure and you are over or under.
On 03/24/2010 03:38 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Ideally they should be parallel. There is no adjustment.
Taunten recently did a review of parallel jaw clamps. Some of them were noticeably better than others at keeping parallel under load.
Chris
Is this with a load or without?
I could suspect that under load they might square up. I could also suspect that under load they could deflect. So I am covered either way and should come out looking pretty smart.

Both.
I thought so, too, but they didn't.

Funny.
--

-MIKE-

I have Jet, Bessey, and Cabinet Master parallel clamps. None of them are parallel at some stage of tightening and or depending on the opening on the clamps. Simply put, the bar will bend and that prevents the consistant possibility of a perfectly parallel set of jaw faces. BUT these type clamps tend to work about as good as you could expect.

Mine aren't perfect, but they are close enough. I have a million clamps, and to fight off the fact that they all twist a bit (Besseys.... not much, though) I use a lot of clamps and a little pressure.

I think so. Most of the time when you see twisting or wracking it can be minimized by reorienting the victims in the clamps.
However, when teaching others the art of the glue up, almost without fail the most likely culprit in their glue up failure is placing the clamps and material on an uneven surface to glue up. And uneven table top, gluing on saw horses, etc., bring a whole different dimension non parallel clamps.
When I glue something up in the field that requires this kind of clamping, I actually level my "table" on the sawhorses by carefully leveling the material I am using for a top.
This cuts out most of the problems.
Robert

Bingo. It took me awhile to learn that but once I did it solved a lot of frustration. I built an assembly table with legs that could be adjusted to level.
Max

Is that really necessary? I just have been using a 1/2 sheet of 3/4" plywood that is pretty darn flat so that all ends of each parallel clamp rest on the same flat surface. Then in turn the bases of each clamp are paralle to this surface as is the piece being clamped.
Within reason, it doesn't matter whether this plywood top is level with the ground or not as long as all clamps fully rest on its surface...
Am I missing something?
On 3/26/2010 1:14 AM, blueman wrote:

Yep ... the quotations around the word "level" in Robert's post.
The phrase "on the same level" comes immediately to mind ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

The concrete floor in my shop is not.........uh........shall we say, "perfect". I have a 3' X 5' assembly table. It consists of an angle iron frame onto which I fastened a piece of MDO. While I don't "level" the table with respect to the earth, I do adjust the legs to take care of a corner that may be a bit low. I just want the table to be *flat*. Maybe I should explain that almost everything in my shop is moveable. (casters, etc) I can arrange tools to accommodate different activities, woodworking, metalworking, appliance repair, auto repair..........whatever the need. So the table may be in a different location depending on the task at hand.
Max

Level or planar? How level is level? I see vertical glue-up jigs. How do they work?

Level or planar? How level is level? I see vertical glue-up jigs. How do they work?
When clamping up water boards the surface absolutely myst be "Level".

What is a "water board"?
gmail.com> wrote in message

Similar to a henway

What is a "water board"?
Don't you watch the news?

Silly me. I thought we were talking about woodworking, for once.
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 17:49:18 -0500, the infamous
following:

It's sheer torture, isn't it? <giggle>
-- Challenges are gifts that force us to search for a new center of gravity. Don't fight them. Just find a different way to stand. -- Oprah Winfrey