JET JWTS-10CW2-JF vs Craftsman Professional 22114

I've narrowed my saw choices down to these two. Both have cast iron wings and a decent (not great) fence. From what I've read, the Jet is one of the best "contractor's saws" out there, and lots of folks really like it. The Craftsman is a new model, and built more like a cabinet saw (nice!) but still has a "small" motor like a contractor's saw.
My shop is currently in about 1/4 of a good sized two car garage. Over time I might be able to extend that to 1/2, but I cannot have the whole thing... I'm a hobbyist and will use the saw for small/medium furniture & cabinets, jewelry boxes, and the like... I'm currently using one of those "total crap" $100 Delta tabletop saws and although I've actually built some OK stuff with it, I finally figured out (what took me so long!) that its just not accurate enough for real work.
I can get the Jet locally for about $700 to $750 and I'm sure I'd be "satisfied". However, the Craftsman is actually roughly the same price (or even slightly less, depending on sales) and I'm tempted because of all the good stuff I read about cabinet style saws with the trunnions mounted to the cabinet.
FYI: I have 120 in my shop, and the panel is down there so I can run 220 if needed, but that's extra $$. I've considered the Grizzly 1023S, but the others listed still seem like better choices to me...
SO: between these two saws in the title, which one would you recommend, and why?
Hi, I was considering a General Contractor type saw, the wait was going to be no telling how long. So, I decided to go with a Griz 1023s cab. saw. The saw has a 3 hp motow, plenty of power. The set-up was effortless, love it. You really should consider it.
Tony

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 15:15:53 -0800, Bryan Dawson wrote:

Sounds like exactly the size shop I have (a smallish room in the basement) and the same sort of work.

I have the mid-range Craftsman, and was very happy for the cabinet-style construction tonight when I had to align the table to the blade. Loosen four bolts, a few well-placed whacks with a rubber mallet and done (well, helps to tighten the table bolts back up too). I suspect that might have been more of a production with table-mounted trunnions. I've never liked the standard contractor-style design with the motor sticking out the back, either. The Craftsman has a built-in dust collection port, but since I don't have a DC and never remember to hook up the shop vac to it, I just periodically open the side panel and vacuum out the cabinet.
--
-Chip Olson. | ceo2 at thsi dot org | remove the 2 to reply