Jet JWBS-18 - opinions

Any one have any +/- on this saw?

Thanks

Reply to
Rob V

( - )

Reply to
David Binkowski

I guess I should elabrate. I have an opportunity to pick one up for about 800. Its about 1 yr old. I read some reviews and it looks like the main problem is adjusting the bottom rollers. Does anyone have any other real life negatives about this saw?

Thanks

-Rob

Reply to
Rob V

I recently bought the Jet Jwbs-16 which is basically the same saw. Like the reviews say, adjusting the bottom rollers is awkward and tedious but only when you are changing size of blades. You have to loosen the mount and slide it backwards or forwards to adjust the guide bearings which is difficult to do with the table mounted. I have a fence and rails on mine so I can't remove the table with a blade installed. The easiest way I've found is to remove the blade, remove the table, install the blade and adjust tracking and bearings, remove the blade and replace table, then reinstall the blade. About 15 mins. Other than that I love the saw.

Side note: retail on the JWBS-18 is about 950.00.

Reply to
mel

Sounds like a procedure which would convince me to never change blades.

Thanks for the review. I've been thinking about this saw (to upgrade my classic-era Sears 12"), but based on what you've said, I think I'll keep looking.

Reply to
Roy Smith

Don't misunderstand..this one little quirk is far out weighed by the saw and it's performance. For the price, as opposed to the mini max, this saw is terrific.

Reply to
mel

Hi all

I have this saw and love except two things: changing blades and the blade that comes with it is nothing more that notched steel banding.

One of the old timers in the the area has left the rear rail off his saw so he can easily remove the whole table to change blades. I haven't tried this yet but have been pleased resawing brazilian cherry 3/16" thick at 9 1/2" wide with a 3/4" MVP blade. This has made wish for a drum sander. I have been taking my veneers to a cabinet shop and paying between $20-30 to get them sanded. I have made a couple of xmas yard cut outs with a MVP 1/4" blade. Was fun to do. Have only stalled the saw once. I was just starting to resaw the brazilian cherry and had not jointed the edge and it was twisting the blade. I ran them thur the jointer and didn't have any more trouble. Compared with anything except a MM or Laguana you will see that it a great saw.

Chef

Reply to
Master Chef Richard Campbell

I have one, it's a very good saw, but you will want to replace the stock blades if your work is fussy. Yes, as other posters point out, adjusting the bottom guides when installing a new blade, is a bit of a pain, but it's not that hard, and I don't need to do it very often.

Reply to
Barry Lennox

I love mine. As everyone else has said, adjusting the bottom guides is a pain.

Also, the Jet mobile base (HTC) is a piece of crap. Get the Delta universal base.

Other than that, I love the saw. Can't beat it for the price.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

And I forgot to mention, I have done 4 things that make the bottom blade guide setting-up quite a bit easier.

Firstly, there's a crappy useless piece of steel as a blade guard. I took mine off, it seems to do nothing, and just gets in the way.

Secondly, I replaced the rear cap screw that holds the blade guide with a normal bolt. You can then get a small socket on it, and that speeds things up quite a bit.

I trimmed off a standard hex key so that fits the front cap screw without fouling on various other brackets and bits in the area.

Lastly, there's 3 small wing nuts to undo and do up. They are a bit tough on your fingers, so I made a little custom wrench out of 1/2 steel rod, with a slot hacksawed in the end. I have glued a bit of rubber hose on the other end to provide a soft grip and better leverage.

Hope this helps other users.

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox