JET JPM-13CS- Cabinet access and wheels?

I am looking at purchasing a Jet planer/molder today. I like the thought of a closed base to keep the wood chips out, but wondered about maneauverability and storage.

I can see in reviews or photos.

Can someone tell me if there is an access door in the enclosed base that would allow storage of plades, etc?

Also, does this or does this not have wheels similar to the open base design?

TIA, Steve Maye Nashville, TN

Reply to
Stephen Maye

There is an access panel held in place with four phillip's head screws. There isn't really much room inside the base as the motor, switch and switch wiring take up most of it.

It has wheels mounted inside the base of the cabinet. There is a foot operated "rocker switch" to lock and unlock the wheels.

I'm very happy with mine. It was a nice upgrade from the Dewalt 733... much quieter, less of a chore to move around, and less of a problem with long stock. I used the 733 on top of a workbench and there was always something in the way with long stock. With the Jet planer/molder I roll it out in the middle of the floor and length isn't an issue at all. It's quieter due to the induction motor vs. a universal motor. The surface finish is more than adequate for a thicknessing machine (i.e., dimensioning machine) and a smoothing plane gets it ready for finish with ease. With the infeed and outfeed rollers adjusted properly snipe is minimal and cleans up with the smoothing plane quickly. I'm not doing "production" work so I leave it set up for the slow speed feed.

For me the inclusion of the infeed/outfeed rollers and the look of the closed base pushed me to the closed base over the open. Assembly was trivial as the base and planner/molder come assembled.

I'd buy it again...

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Steve, The cabinet does not have a provision for storage. There is an access panel held on by a few screws to allow you to get to the motor. Not sure if the wheels are identical to the open stand version, but the wheels on mine are low profile and there's a brake pedal to lock the wheels. It's easily maneuverable on a solid surface, a little top-heavy. I opted for the closed stand for a couple of reasons; I need to cut down on the noise as much as possible (I woodwork in my apartment), and I need excellent dust collection. This planer is quiet compared to my old portable Grizzly with the screaming universal motor. With it hooked up to the 1.5HP Oneida cyclone, planing is now a very clean operation.

HTH, Larr

Reply to
Larry West