Jet Jointer

I'm considering a new Jet JJ-6CS jointer. The machine looks like a real value. I'm a little concerned, though, that the knives seem to be proprietary. I can't find one other manufacturer (Frued, for instance) making knives in that size. Knives in this size catagory from Freud and others cost 30 dollars a set or less. Jet knives cost 60 to 70 dollars a set. I see some complaints about their durability although those complainers seem to still like the machine well enough. Any comments?
Thanks much.
TLE
On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 15:13:36 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

If that jointer has straight knives, EVERYONE makes replacements, probably including a sharpening shop near you.
With straight knives, you simply select them by size (ex: 1-1/4" x 6" x 1/8") vs. replacements for a specific machine. Jointers are very low tech machines.

Have you tried here? http://www.americannationalknife.com/2To7.asp I have the same jointer and have bought knives from them.
Max

Thanks Max!
This is the first web site I've seen that lists this size. I think that the Jet will be my machine.
TLE
I won one of those jointers and I'm happy with it. It takes 6-1/16" X 5/8" x 1/8" knives and there are many sources for it.
Were you pricing carbide knives? $60-70 is about right for carbide. Here's a carbide set that will fit too even tho it's 1/16" short: http://cgi.ebay.com/CARBIDE-TIP-JOINTER-KNIVES-6-DELTA-CRAFTSMAN-ATLAS_W0QQitemZ140213792076QQihZ004QQcategoryZ42283QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
HSS knife sets are readily avail for under $30 a set from many vendors. They are not as durable as carbide but you can sharpen them yourself. Here's one source: http://cgi.ebay.com/T1-HSS-JOINTER-KNIVES-BLADES-POWERMATIC-54A-JET-JJ-6CS_W0QQitemZ130203586242QQihZ003QQcategoryZ42283QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Art

[arggh] I *have* one of those jointers .... I didn't win one. Art

Hi Art -
I got worried when I couldn't find the size on Freud, International, or Global web sites. Thanks for the feedback.
TLE

Thanks Art!
Global no longer shows this size on their web site. I didn't call them though. I'll check with them.
Yeah, I wasn't looking at carbide - it's just that wherever I priced Jet knives (including with my rather astonished dealer) they were between 60 and 70 bucks a set - HSS.
If I can get knives for what you say ( and it looks like I can from what you guys are showing me) I won't worry about it anymore.
TLE