Jet introduces incredibly large lathe

Jet has introduced a new 12' x 21' capacity lathe.
http://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/woodworking-lathe/719200
On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 15:44:42 -0600, Leon wrote:

I was all set to order one...
basilisk

All they need is a set of turning tools that you can put on a tractor bucket and you'll be set! Nothing like "Real Man" turning.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 2/15/2013 4:00 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

On 2/15/2013 3:44 PM, Leon wrote:

Remarkably, they can offer that at $800 price-point...

If I only had a shop with a 40+ foot ceiling. Art
Good catch.
Look at the spec data on the right of the page - lists inches.
Martin
On 2/15/2013 5:36 PM, Artemus wrote:

On 2/15/2013 11:23 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:

Yeahbut... I wonder if some clown will file a lawsuit over that error looking to pick up a free lathe.
Further evidence the proofreading is for wimps!
RonB

Question. I'm going to turn some 19' columns on it. Do I run it at the full 3600 rpm?

I believe it's always a good idea to start slow until the piece is round, then you can run it at whatever speed you want.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Turning Man at Burning Man ...
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

FInally, I can turn those telephone poles that have been lying around the yard into useful table legs.

Yeah if only the power companies would turn the poles a final time they would look so much better. :-)

Remember Tom Plamann's huge shop-built lathe? For turing architectural columns.
On 2/16/2013 10:07 AM, Zz Yzx wrote:

Yes! I don't think it had that 12' tall capacity however. ;~)