Jet doing the right thing

This is an "attaboy" for Jet. Bought a Jet contractor saw some years back. A good saw. Using the saw recently I found that the pivot pin of the Jet miter gauge had fallen out making the miter gauge useless. Naturally, the pivot pin was not to be found. (After a little research, I found that Jet uses a tapered pin that can fall out and down and that pin often falls out and is lost. Not a great design.)
Anyway, I contacted Jet by e-mail and asked for a replacement pin. Instead, they sent me an entire new miter gauge. Gratis. I am long out of warranty and I really appreciate Jet doing this. A good company.
The added benefit(?) of having this incident was as an excuse to finally upgrade to an after-market miter gauge. Bought an Incra 1000SE on eBay.
Anyway, Jet did the right thing...even more than I hoped for.
- NOPCBS
Folks have a tendency to bitch when they have a bad experience with a company. Only fair to give praise and thanks when they have a great experience. Lee Valley seems to only get praise - a tribute to their way of doing business.
charlie b
Hint:
If you don't work with metal find someone that does and would like to trade metal working for wood working.
Making a new pin to replace the old one would be a piece of cake.
Glad to hear that the customer service at Jet is good however. Perhaps future designs will be improved upon as a result of you giving them feedback.
--

Roger Shoaf

Would that it were so. Others have posted about this problem and Jet generally seems to send out replacement pins on request, but they have not, judging from the appearance of the new miter gauge, changed the design.
A pity as they are clearly good guys (one likes to see good guys improve their product) and it would not be hard for them to lock the pin in so it never falls out by a design change.
- Geo