Don't pout, it makes your lip stick out funny.
As a matter of fact I haven't decided, but then I haven't read anything in this entire thread that has answered my question unambiguously. Although Jim's post helped tremendously. Personally I don't associate Taiwan with China - two entirely different countries and standards of living, perhaps you do. If the particular model I'm interested in is made in Taiwan, then I'm sold.

Last spring I did a lot of looking, and ended up with the Grizz that FWW thought was the best value, I have to agree
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org

I don't know that we can answer the question about whether they are a decent company per se. However, their tools are of good quality at a moderate price point. I've got the following Jet tools: 3 HP cabinet saw, 13" floor model planer/molder, 18" band saw, floor model drill press, air cleaner, and shaper. The only tool I've had any problems with is the air cleaner--burned out the 1/8 hp (?) motor at about 6 years. I also have a few Delta tools, DJ-20 jointer and dust collector.
The Jet band saw is an early 18" model and despite the alleged "fatal flaws" others have written of (aluminum trunnions, frame flex) the saw has been a stellar performer, has NO drift regardless of what blades I've used, and has been used to saw 8-10" wide 3/32" slices. I've also sawn relatively small logs on it with no problems. Whether you can cut large wet logs on it all day and expect it to last is probably questionable... especially compared to an associate of mine's 36" 10 hp vertical band saw. ;~)
John
On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 19:53:30 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"

I've got the Jet mini lathe, the Jet 1440vs lathe and the ceiling air filter... all work well and have met expectations..
The motor in the mini burnt up about 6 months after I bought it, but not only was it replaced free of charge, but I'll be the first to admit that not only did I push to lathe to it's limits but I probably put 2 or 3 years of "normal" use on it be the time it smoked the motor..
I recently blew the starting condenser in the same lathe by running it on a generator.. my fault... Jet shipped me a new one for about $12 and I was back in business within a week..
I'm happy with them and don't really care where the tools are made or who makes them..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

[...]
I alsoi have a Jet 18 incher and am generally quite satisfied with it. My only complaint is with the power switch/motor starter. I replaced it once, and the second is starting to go. When it does, I will replace it with something better.

Well, I have a Jet Mini-Lathe, a Jet Gold Overhead AFS-1000B Air Filter, a Jet 1.5 HP DC1100CK dust collector with the cannister, and a Jet 14DX 1.25HP 14" with a 6" extender, Kreig fence, and upgraded Iturra springs. No complaints whatsoever but I'm a very amateur woodworker and not a production shop. I do believe that most Jet castings and components are from Taiwan and not mainland China.
I don't think buying Jet power tools is a mistake, but like anything else when you have some variables... there's always some tweaking that can improve the quality of performance.
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 00:23:50 -0400, Bradford Chaucer