Jet 6" Jointer opinion

Is this as decent a deal as I think? Haven't seen the tool in person yet.

TIA

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Looks like a good price to me. Google 6" jet jointer for more pricing.

RP

Reply to
RP

That is high for that unit.

See if you can get it for under $250. more like 225 or better at $200.

Reply to
tiredofspam

Oh, it's decent if local for no shipping but I wouldn't consider it great. OTOH, if it's available now as opposed to continuing to look/wait and you'll be satisfied w/ the 6"...that'd be my biggest concern that you'll be in same position as is reason this owner is now selling shortly because you'll regret not having at least an 8" machine...

--

Reply to
dpb

Jet aren't common up here, but a good 6" jointer is going for about $700 new.

How does Jet compare in quality to General International?

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

On 10/13/2012 10:22 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote: ...

Roughly equivalent; typically a little less expensive--the Jet brand is owned by the parent of Powermatic and they're in the same ballpark competitively as the better 2nd=tier generics.

Specifically to models I'd have to look at the General offering; this one is not the center-mount fence but the rear mount that is a little less convenient.

One of best comparisons is look up weight--the more cast iron the better is a general rule that rarely leads in the wrong direction...

--

Reply to
dpb

Interesting it looks like mine as far as the fence goes which I got in the 70's when Jet was getting started in the Seattle area. Its actually green. Considering the extra knives and all it looks clean might be a fair tool. I've gotten good service from mine other then when I wish it was wider.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

Picked it up last night for $275. It's in pristine shape, even though it's at least 25 years old. Glue-line quality on the tests.

Now to clear a space, get it out of the trailer and reassemble.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Good for you, and I think you'l be happy. The fence on those is very solid.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M