Jet 6" Jointer opinion

Is this as decent a deal as I think? Haven't seen the tool in person yet.
<http://saskatoon.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-tools-power-tools-6-JET-joint er-W0QQAdIdZ421637187>
TIA
--
I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I
like fishing because its the one thing I can think of that probably doesnt.
On Friday, October 12, 2012 11:43:36 PM UTC-4, Dave Balderstone wrote:

Looks like a good price to me. Google 6" jet jointer for more pricing.
RP

Jet aren't common up here, but a good 6" jointer is going for about $700 new.
How does Jet compare in quality to General International?
djb
--
I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I
like fishing because its the one thing I can think of that probably doesnt.
On 10/13/2012 10:22 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote: ...

Roughly equivalent; typically a little less expensive--the Jet brand is owned by the parent of Powermatic and they're in the same ballpark competitively as the better 2nd=tier generics.
Specifically to models I'd have to look at the General offering; this one is not the center-mount fence but the rear mount that is a little less convenient.
One of best comparisons is look up weight--the more cast iron the better is a general rule that rarely leads in the wrong direction...
That is high for that unit.
See if you can get it for under $250. more like 225 or better at $200.

Oh, it's decent if local for no shipping but I wouldn't consider it great. OTOH, if it's available now as opposed to continuing to look/wait and you'll be satisfied w/ the 6"...that'd be my biggest concern that you'll be in same position as is reason this owner is now selling shortly because you'll regret not having at least an 8" machine...
On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 21:43:34 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Interesting it looks like mine as far as the fence goes which I got in the 70's when Jet was getting started in the Seattle area. Its actually green. Considering the extra knives and all it looks clean might be a fair tool. I've gotten good service from mine other then when I wish it was wider.
Mike M

Picked it up last night for $275. It's in pristine shape, even though it's at least 25 years old. Glue-line quality on the tests.
Now to clear a space, get it out of the trailer and reassemble.
--
I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I
like fishing because its the one thing I can think of that probably doesnt.
On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 09:23:48 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Good for you, and I think you'l be happy. The fence on those is very solid.
Mike M