Jet 16" Bandsaw (JWBS-14CS)

I'm in the process of trying to choose a bandsaw. I've been looking at the usual 14" suspects--Delta (there are at least 3 distinct models out there now, sounds like some people have had issues with all of them), Jet, Powermatic. I just realized that the 16" Jet costs about the same or a little less than the PM and 2 out of 3 of the Deltas, has a 1.5 HP motor, a bigger table than any of the 14"ers, and doesn't require a riser block. I searched the rec for info on this saw and found a few posts, but couldn't find any from someone who had really used it. Does anyone out there have 1st hand experience with this saw? Care to compare it to it's 14" competitors? On a related note, can anyone who has this saw give me an idea of how hard it would be to get down the stairs into the basement? The shipping weight is 310 lbs--how many (easily separable) pieces is that, and what's the heaviest/largest one?

To be honest, this saw is clearly overkill for what I need it to do in the short term--cutting curves, maybe some joinery work, some light resawing (my immediate need is cutting 3" and 4" thick mahogany that's

*killing* my contractor TS), but I'm looking for something I can grow into--I don't want to wake up 2 years from now and realize I need a heftier saw. Am I crazy to be looking at this, or this a reasonable grow-into kinda saw?

Thanks,

Forrest

Reply to
Forrest Chamberlain

if it's like the one I looked at at the store, the top guides will drive you nuts with movement (rearward) when sawing heavy stuff. The frame flexes too much. However, I'm not sure if the Jet I saw is the one you've got your eye on. Check it out very carefully. It's one of their biggest flaws.

dave

Forrest Chamberla> I'm in the process of trying to choose a bandsaw. I've been looking at

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I've used both the Delta 14" (American, not Taiwanese or Chinese) and the Jet

16". The Delta is better.

Having used them both, I now have the MiniMax 16"

NO comparison at all. You always get what you pay for.

Reply to
DarylRos

Yeah, I think the MM is a bit out of my price range :-) Is there still an american made 14" delta? The 299 maybe?

Thanks,

Forrest

DarylRos wrote:

Reply to
Forrest Chamberlain

So you're saying that the MiniMax outdoes both of them?

Reply to
Upscale

As luck has it, mine just arrived from Amazon last night. I can only answer your last question for now but I plan on posting a review of the saw after the weekend when I've had a chance to give it a go.

It arrives flat which surprised me. I rented a U-Hual to pick it up from the shippers dock. Working in the nicely lit but really cold U-Hual last night, I removed the doors from the hinges, removed the blade and then removed the cast iron wheels. No problem for any of this but the wheel axle nuts are left hand thread. Next I tilted the saw up on it's base and removed the motor and motor mount by removing the two motor mount bolts. A couple of screws to remove the wires. I noticed the v-belt already had a good set to it so I'm going to pick up a link belt on my way home tonight while I have the wheels off.

I figure I probably lightened it by a good 75 pounds. That and the fact that the table and the cast iron feet come detached means that the biggest piece to get in the basement was 175 lbs I figure. I rented an appliance dolly (the one with the strap and the stair climbing tank treads) and was able to get it down the flight of stairs to the basement myself.

I plan to re-assemble and tune up tonight (I bought Lonnie Birds book from amazon at the same time I bought the saw).

Initial impressions: I was not prepared for what a serious machine this thing is. I considered the 18" and am glad I got the 16", I'd never have gotten it in the basement for starters. It certainly is a sturdy piece of equipment. Again, I'll give a full review early next week.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Pringle

Hi All,

I got the 18" Jet for my B-day from SWMBO and daughter. I got it uncrated and set up in a afternoon. I attempted to saw 2x4 just to say that I had sawed something with my new band saw. It would not saw straight for anything. Being the type of person I am, I had to figure out the probelm. After having read about how awlful the stock blade is, I picked up a 1/2" MVP blade and put it on. I then found that blade tracking was completely whacked. I had to redo it completely. This was my only problem with the saw.

I have since resawed some 8.5" brazilian cherry and it only stalled out once. I blame my lack of skill with resawing not the saw itself. I was able to make some really nice 1/8" pieces to redo my inlaws boring painted mantel. The mantel project made for one of the nicest Thanksgivings that we have had at my inlaws. I was busy and didn't have time to notice them. Worked out well for me.

I really like the saw and am glad that I got the 18" over the 16".

Chef

Reply to
Master Chef Richard Campbell

Matt--

Thanks for the info--good to hear that getting it into the basement is feasible. Looking forward to your impressions once you get it up and running.

Thanks,

Forrest

Matt Pr> As luck has it, mine just arrived from Amazon last night. I can only

Reply to
Forrest Chamberlain