JessEm Mortise mill

Page 4 of 4
On 2/1/13 2:47 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Cheapest one I've seen it at Rocker for $160 and seems like a lot more setup time involved. After further thought, I don't think there would be a speed issue with a drill and the JessEm. Not everyone's cordless drill are very fast... mine is. And Like Lew said, that bit is probably a special design to accelerate side cutting. Every demonstration I've seen shows the using moving pretty fast through the entire cut.
--

-MIKE-

On 2/1/2013 2:47 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

If one has a vise and plunge router, I've used this one to make a few chairs, complete with compound angles, and it cost about $10 in scraps and a bit of shop time:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/ShopmadeMortiseJig
The photos should be in a logical order so that no words are needed, but if someone needs a play-by-play and wants to try making one, just say the word.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 08:17:38 -0600, Leon wrote:

Woodcraft carried them when they first came out. They don't now. Must not have been a good seller. IIRC, there was a larger version as well.
I did buy some of the loose tenons - seemed like a good buy at the time.
carrying a cross.
On 2/1/13 7:45 AM, Gramp's shop wrote:

That's a great price for that. Not only is it cheaper than the Beadlock Pro, but it's easier to make your own tenons. I almost pulled the trigger on one of these, but I already have a self-centering doweling jig that is easier to use than this JessEm.
I think it would be a great way to decide if loose tenon joinery was the "thing for you" and if you fall in love with it, you could bite the bullet on the Domino.
I still might get one to check out. Even if I don't like it, I could get at least 40 bucks back on ebay.
--

-MIKE-

Here's the bottom line for me on build vs buy: I'm a hobbyist and if I use 100 tenons in a year I will be surprised. Having said that, once I get my hands on what Jessem sends, I'm bound to try making my own.
Larry
On 2/2/2013 2:02 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:

tenons in a year I will be surprised. Having said that, once I get my hands on what Jessem sends, I'm bound to try making my own.

FWIW, hobbyist or not, being able to cut mortises and use tenons more quickly affords you the advantage of building "better more quickly". If you are anything like me you will find that if the tool is worth while and not a PIA to use you will use it more in place of other other tools. You will find more reasons to use the this type joinery. Building furniture with mortise and tenon joinery is a by far better than using pocket hole screws and or biscuits.
Basically if you are not satisfied by the Jesem jig don't let that leave you with a bad taste for mortise and tenon joinery.
On 2/2/13 3:50 PM, Leon wrote:

I optimistically think the opposite would happen. As with pocket holes, even an awkward, simple jig that requires extra steps and time in order to make lots of joints allows you to fall in love with the use of pocket holes. I've never upgraded by simple little jig, but I use a ton of those joints. I think whenever i do upgrade to one with integrated tables, clamps, dust vac exhaust, etc., it'll be a wonderful luxury, but I'm not going to stop using pocket holes any time soon, simple because my little Kreg can be awkward.
I'm in the same position with my current doweling jig that is pretty awkward and slow to use. I've developed steps and processes to make things go more quickly, but I still see the advantage of dowels and can easily see how loose tenon joinery (especially the Domino) will be a great improvement. I look forward to owning and using a Domino, but I'm still going to make lots of joints using dowels (round loose tenons).
--

-MIKE-