JessEm Mortise mill

Speaking of that highway-robbery, I think these are a great value if you don't knock them against the sink (it knocks the blades slightly out of alignment):

> Wonder what kind of a price they would offer for an order of 500 pcs? > > Lew >

Reply to
Bill

gads, talk about the high priced spread.

Somebody was running a sale on triple blade throw away razors.

Made in India, distributed by an outfit in Hollywood, CA.

They do more than just make movies in Hollywood.

Pack of 5 razors for a $1.00.

I bought a pack, they worked great.

Needless to say, went back and bought another $20.00 worth.

First throw away I've been able to get more than one shave in a long time.

They also had a sale on EDGE shaving cream.

If it didn't work, wasn't out much.

Turned out to be another winner for me.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Greg Guarino wrote in news:keh41i$eo6$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

The demo video pretty clearly shows the drill is not started until after the bit is inserted into the guide; I figured on doing the same with a router.

Reply to
Doug Miller

"Gramp's shop" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Why buy the tenons? If you have a thickness planer and a table-mounted router with a roundover bit, it's dirt-simple to make your own loose tenons from scrap wood.

Reply to
Doug Miller

If one has a vise and plunge router, I've used this one to make a few chairs, complete with compound angles, and it cost about $10 in scraps and a bit of shop time:

photos should be in a logical order so that no words are needed, but if someone needs a play-by-play and wants to try making one, just say the word.

Reply to
Swingman

For all the tenons I use with my Multi-Router, I cut both thickness and width on the table saw, and length using a sled, or miter saw if they need to be mitered; then a roundover bit on the router table.

Cut'em just a RCH thicker than the mortise, then a quick touch on the Delta drum and belt sander for a precise fit.

Reply to
Swingman

This is pretty close. It's 5 packs of 10 for $16. About 30-cents a piece. I understand they are made by Gillette to sell in India to their customers their who will not pay $3-4 per razor like some do here. Once in a while I am disappointed with a blade, but I like the deal compared to what I find available in retail these days.

Reply to
Bill

Reply to
Gramp's shop

I think you guys may have too much time on your hands... ;~)

That said, I do things like that sometimes but most of the time I don't have the time... if I spent time on that I'd never get the real project done!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

tenons) it either is or isn't going to meet my needs. I kinda look at this as an expensive first step toward the Domino.

Well Larry, after you play with it, we'll expect a full review. I'm not sure I need it, I have a mortiser, I have a router, but it is worth hearing about.

Reply to
woodchucker

I don't think that .18 cents a piece is that bad. What about cutting your own, just thickness on the bandsaw or tablesaw, rip to width, route roundover then cut to length... certainly you can make a few hundred in an hour. If you do it right.

Reply to
woodchucker

router with a

The combined operation of cutting mortises on the Multi-Router, and making custom sized loose tenons, cuts shop time labor by at least 30%, more If compound angles are involved. Built way too many M&T tables and chairs, both traditional and floating, to not have thoroughly experienced, and documented, the benefit of those two alternate operations alone. And that's not counting the resultant time savings due to an increase in ease of fitting parts cut with a bit more inherent, and repeatable precision.

Although I don't own one, a Domino, while not as versatile, will save even more time, easily making up for the cost of the tenons, either making or buying.

Reply to
Swingman

I can't see that whole process taking more than 30 minutes.

Reply to
-MIKE-

"woodchucker" wrote:

--------------------------------------------------- You could make your own or get some one else to make them for you at your price.

Spent too many years negotiating deals to walk away from an opportunity.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Fri, 1 Feb 2013 12:54:08 -0800 (PST), "Gramp's shop"

tenons) it either is or isn't going to meet my needs. I kinda look at this as an expensive first step toward the Domino.

Just so you understand that it's a *really big* step from this to a Domino. I'd equate that step from a Skilsaw compared to a cabinet saw.

Reply to
Dave

router with a

FWIW the most common sized tenon that I use is the 5mm one, especially for the more complicated joints that I make. They are about a penny more expensive than a biscuit when purchased by the case. The 6 mm tenon being approximately 1/3 the thickness of 3/4" stock is marginally more expensive. I can't imagine making 1,800, 5mm tenons to save $80. I have used about

2,800 of the 5mm tenons alone, that's 5,600 mortises. Can you imagine making that many mortises with the Jesem jig? The larger Domino unit however uses much larger and much longer tenons. Making your own would probably be worthwhile.
Reply to
Leon

It?s the making the tenons part, not the mortise part, that would burn time that pulling tenons out of a box wouldn't. Setting up machines to rip, joint, thickness, round over, cut to length, etc., to relatively tight consistent tolerances takes time... I suppose if you make 100s or 1,000s of them in what otherwise would be down time it would be OK, and cost effective, but in the middle of a job it strikes me as a time burning distraction.

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

The operative words "Multi-Router", "combined", and "custom sized loose tenons" notwithstanding:

For 1 1/2 x 1/4 x 2" loose tenons:

I can set the fence and rip a 1x2x8 board into TWO boards of 1/4' thick stock in less than five minutes on the table saw, with setup ... and that's being pokey.

I can easily make 8 roundover passes with the resultant two pieces on the router table in less than ten minutes, with setup.

I can easily cut 2" tenons from that stock on the table saw/sled at a rate of 12 tenons/minute, or approximately five seconds each, with setup of the stop block on the sled.

And, indeed, on this last four barstool project, my detailed record of shop hours (which I strive to keep accurately to facilitate bidding on future jobs), indicates that I spent 30 minutes cutting the 80 loose tenons for four complete chairs.

That's 30 minutes for ALL the project tenons ... Now tell me how long would it take you to cut 80 tenons in the ends of 40 chair components?

Cutting custom loose tenons a "burning distraction", not quite ...

... but what it is, is the difference between actual experience with an operation, and just talking about it. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

See previous post re making custom tenons ... you hit the nail on the head.

Reply to
Swingman

Wow, I guess my estimation was spot on. :-)

Now, figure out how long it would've taken to get on the computer, find the best price, place the order and get back out to the shop to work. Even if you could do it on the iPad in 15 minutes... now, you're waiting for UPS.

Reply to
-MIKE-