Jessem FX / Rockler FX router lift - anyone have one?

Anyone using a Jessem FX / Rockler FX router lift? Jessem makes them both and the Rockler one has a smaller plate to fit its router tables.
http://www.jessem.com/rout_r_lift_fx.htm http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?&offerings_id 777&objectgroup_idC2&catid&filter=jessem%20fx
I did find a couple of gushing reviews: http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/rfxrvu.html http://www.woodworking.com/articles/index.cfm?fa=show&id 59
I DAGS with only two hits here -- both by people considering getting one? The last ISO info was posted 3 months ago so I thought I'd start the info-trolling this time. Anyone get one for Xmas? Any hands-on reviews? TIA. -- Igor
I have the Mast-R-Lift and it is just fabulous!!! can't go wrong with any of the JessEm's products!!
--

\Mike
----------------

igor wrote:

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?&offerings_id 777&objectgroup_idC2&catid&filter=jessem%20fx
I have one, bought it last summer. I thought I'd posted results, must be getting forgetful.
The FX is a nice tool and mine works great, but I had 2 non-working ones before I got this one.
On the first one, the aluminum pieces that grip the router were bent in the area of the latch such that I thought that they might slip and let the router go loose. Dealer replaced it 'no questions asked'. He opened a couple more in the store for me to look at. The next one I looked at had movement vertically (when it shouldn't have). Slop in the bearings, or the shafts weren't tight to the plate. The third one was good.
When I got it home, I discovered that the holes for the leveling feet were not drilled and tapped all the way through, and it was impossible to put the set screws in. I contacted Jessem and they sent me some new screws, gave me details on the thread and I tapped the holes.
Since then it is a joy to use. Definitely worth the money, and good support from Jessem. You might want to buy from a local dealer if possible to avoid having to return ship the unit if you get one that is out of tolerance.
Anyone else notice these problems, or was I just lucky?
Rob
I just got the March 2005 issue of American Woodworker, where they have a review of 12 router lifts. The FX was one of the recommended ones.

I have the Jessem FX (with a Makita 1101) in a Norm-style router table. I love it, but I honestly have nothing to compare it to other than hand adjusting the depth which was painfully slow. I can't think of any way to improve the FX other than shortening the insertable crank shaft an inch or so to make cranking slightly faster (I guess I could just saw it off myself).
On a related note, I put my Makita in the table because it is very quiet and I never liked its plunge mechanism; I use a Bosch for actual plunge routing. The Makita, however, is slightly smaller than the other router bodies (3.25" versus 3.5", I think), so if you go with Makita, you are stuck forever. If you go with the larger (standard) FX model, I wonder if you can simply add a rubber gasket and put a Makita in it, preserving an option for later changing routers.

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?&offerings_id 777&objectgroup_idC2&catid&filter=jessem%20fx I