JB Weld

Page 2 of 2
On 2/24/2011 3:35 AM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

Sorry, I thought maybe you were doing type-setting... : )
I read the following last night from Krenov's "The Fine Art of Cabinetmaking", p.99, and thought of this thread:
"Otherwise we presume, as most people do, that a plane is a plane is a plane, and leave it. This is a pity, since for a certain kind of craftsman a plane can be more than a tool. It can be a beautiful instrument, a joy to use. It can bring results that truly do show in the work, the piece itself. A fine plane is a time-saver and a labor-saver; it more than repays the care and love you give it. It is at its best a part of you, your hands and eye and your innermost hopes as you work."
I hope that makes you want to blow your nose in that twenty dollar bill...lol (j/k)!
BTW, I think this book is a better read than "A Cabinetmakers Notebook". Though another poster ordered them the other way, based upon photography and layout. I wasn't swayed by the latter features; the author adequately gets his points across, though I encountered a bit of a dessert in the "...Notebook". His books represent a philosophy/attitude/religion--and I don't think you need to buy the whole enchilada to take something away from it. Halfway through my second book of his, I am changed--or at least affected. One may not often see his version of spirituality that much these days--but his words live on in the Wreck! : )
Bill

Barf!
CW wrote:

Learning religion is like that for some people. You have to take it slow; don't bite off more than you can chew. Give yourself permission to consider new thoughts and points of view...and to make mistakes. Maybe that last part, about making mistakes, is the most important. Maybe you should look for the books in the library in case they are not exactly your cup of tea? ; )
Bill

Go suck an outlet, ya Normite slug. 'Twas booful. Poetry.
-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

He was talking about a plane made by the craftsman himself, not a machine stamped number churned out in the thousands.
--
Ever wonder why doctors, dentists and lawyers have to Practice so much? Ever
wonder why you let them Practice on You?
Lobby Dosser wrote:

Yes, he wrote this following his discussion of how to make a wooden plane. But I would say you've missed his point. He is talking about "fine planes", period. I think he would say that most any plane can be fettled to be a fine plane if the craftsman's passion and skill is sufficient to make it so.
Bill

I don't waste time fettling Twinkies. Especially when they been stepped on.
--
Ever wonder why doctors, dentists and lawyers have to Practice so much? Ever
wonder why you let them Practice on You?
Lobby Dosser wrote:

You should pick up your tools when you're done with them!

I don't leave them where they can be stepped on. Nor do I buy them in that condition.
On 2/25/2011 11:35 PM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

Speaking of planes ... what's become of Steve Knight?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

The last I looked, he was selling CNC-made plane kits and reselling pointy sticks (awls, marking knives), plane hammahs and such. I should have said "Hi!" when I zipped by his site.
-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

I just sent an email to him and looked at his other website, http://www.cncrouting.biz/ . He is apparently doing more CNC work than planes nowadays, but he's making a passel o' kits. I'll let you know when he gets in touch.
-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London
On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 21:35:07 -0800, "Lobby Dosser"

Perhaps, but a finely tuned Satanley would perform just as well. A craftsman can often make even a lowly Indian or Chiwanese plane work well...as long as it doesn't have a new Buck iron in it.
-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

Well, is this from a fella offering to do it, or from one hoping to get it done for free?
I have a gas setup and a stick welder - no tig etc. and have some experience/training from Metal Shop in 1960 and some more in the seventies watching the guys in the Auto Body Shop and my pal John and a stretch where i manufactured the Bulletpruef Locksafe from steel plate and pipe using the stick welder.
And, in my limited experience, no job takes "a few minutes" when I'm working for a customer. Hell, it can tak thirty minutes just talking about what he wants!
And, time is money. And Electricity is money, and gas, and so on and so forth.
There is no free lunch at the Welder's Shop - save where the owner shares you last name or you've bedded his daughter.
Hoosierpopi wrote:

I totally understand. Maybe the OP should try to brazing the crack using MAPP gas. Or, he could put the plane in a drawer until he asks for the hand of the welder's daughter! ;)
Bill

If the plane is actually valuable (meaning scarce):
50/50 silver/copper solder from the local jeweler's supply. Clean the joint with an acid pickle, apply borax flux, do the deed with a MAPP torch. Hope the casting doesn't warp if this is your first patient.

I could just stitch it back together...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq0wfU4ZaKk&feature=related

odd labor intensive repair.

Odd that they don't make a biscuit jointer for cast iron.

The aluminum motor/gearbox casting in my old Ryobi 12-1/4" surface planer broke a couple of years ago. There was a small amount of metal still holding it in place and I did a very neat application of JB and it held together for a couple of months. The second time I cleaned up the original JB and applied it like peanut butter in and around the fracture. Still going strong.
RonB