Japanses Style Twisted Dovetails

Does anyone have first hand experience cutting these? What's the setup? Any photos or instrustions available would help too. Thx.

Reply to
LostInSpace

LIS:

Can you post a picture? I can't visualise what you're talking about...

Reply to
john moorhead

This googles up under "twisted dovetails":

John Moorhead

Reply to
John Keeney

Yes I've seen that link too. I'm wondering what the angles are though. He's also using a "modified" twisted dovetail.

message

Reply to
LostInSpace

This link may have a bit more for you, but no angles. Nice example anyway...

Reply to
Mike Reed

Just do them - they're much easier than you'd think.

You need to be able to accurately saw a dovetail and have them assemble straight off, without chisel work. It's useful to mark them out on paper first (both halves), because the spacing is uneven and it's easy to make a joint that simply doesn't match.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I seems the tails and pins alternate on the side and the pins bevel out. The end piece just has beveled pins. This pic seems to show it the best.

Reply to
LostInSpace

The book "David Charlesworth's Furniture-Making Techniques" descibes how he cuts them on a bandsaw.

Only one P in my real address/ Un seul P dans ma véritable adresse

Reply to
Peter Wells

That is a pretty entertaining website.

Dave