Japanese Waterstones Remove Fingerprints

Did you know that a Japanese waterstone can remove fingerprints - from fingers?!

On a whim, I?d picked up an 800 and a 6000 King waterstones well over a year ago but never used them - I already had a Tormek which I thought would be all I?d ever need for sharpening. The Tormek doesn?t work for flattening the backs of chisels and plane irons but the india stones and the hard arkansas stone from my engraving days took care of that shortcoming. Then I got a set of Sorbey butt chisels. Well the Tormek jig I had just wouldn?t handle short chisels.

Hmmm - maybe the waterstones?

Soaked them, put each in its own shallow big casserole dish with some water and started flattening the back of the first chisel on the 800 stone. Hey - this sucker cuts fast yet doesn?t leave deep scratches like a coarse or even a medium india stone.. No oil either. Wiped off the grime and tried the ?super finish stone? (6000). Amazing, most of the scratches from the 800 all but disappeared, leaving a nice shiney finish.

Went back to the 800 and started on the bevel - freehand. - middle finger of my left hand pressng the front of the bevel down onto the stone. A passor two - check the new scratch marks - looks good so kept going. On to the 6000 - nice! Over to the piece of leather glued on a marble tile and dusted it with tin oxide. A few passes on the bevel and I had a nice sharp chisel. One down, six to go.

When I finished the butt chisels I grabbed a handful of Buck chisels and did them. While I was at it I sharpened the blue handles Marples and a pair of skew chisels. And while I was at it I did my marking knives as well. KOOL! With the exception of the Two Cherries, all my chisels are ready for making the through dovetails I need for the skirt/apron of the real workbench I?m making. Chopping out the waste in 8/4 stock requires sharp chisels and now I definitely have sharp chisels.

Turned out the shop lights and went to bed - dreams of see-thru slices of end grain dancing in my head. Waterstones! What a trip!

When I awoke this morning I noticed that the tip of my left middle finger felt funny. Looking closely I noted that I?d waterstoned some of my finger print off - along with whatever the material below is called. Turns out that while pressing the front edge of the bevel onto the waterstone I?d also been pressing some of my skin on to it as well.

Notes to self:

Sharpen one or two chisels at a time when using an 800 waterstone.

DO NOT sharpen 23 chisels and two marking knives in one session.

Make a sign WARNING Japanese Water Stones Will Remove Fingerprints (and some of the underlying meat)

If you haven't tried japanese waterstones yet ...

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

sure but diamond stones are worse (G) when I was learning I wore off all my fingertips all 10 of them. I had some serious problems with typing (G)

Reply to
Steve Knight

Reminds of a time when I was shaping some very small pieces of wood with a finish sander with, I think 100 grit. I had to hold the wood right up to the sander. After I finished I noticed that I had sanded off half of my thumbnail -- not the surface part just the part that had gotten long and really needed trimming anyway. It left a nice smooth edge too, because I guess the finish sander was acting like a power emery board. I just wish I had noticed while it was happening so I could have done the whole nail instead of just half!

david

Reply to
D K Woods

Of course !

Stop sharpening when the stone turns red. It means you've ground the tip off your jig-finger, down to the capillaries.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Given the sharpness of the irons in your planes and marking knives you make it's amazing that you still have all your fingers and have limited parts removal to only fingerprints.

BTW - I've got the DMT diamond plates and they're unused to date. Got them back when I thought I could buy "sharp". Also inherited a range of rock polishing/tumbling grits and haven't tried them for sharpening yet either. The big drawback to wet stones, either oil or water, is the mess they can create, the water stones being the worse offender. Wonder if KY jelly would neaten things up or just gum up the stones. (Snide remarks should be uttered but not typed or e-mailed - I try to think creatively - and most often fail).

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Reply to
Ramsey

I remember reading years ago that the old safe-cracking burglars used to sandpaper their fingertips so that they would be more sensitive to the clicking of the tumblers in the lock. Perhaps you have a whole new career in prospect!

Cheers,

Frank

Reply to
Frank McVey

Why is this such a shock? Belt sanders can remove fingerprints from fingers too. :) DAMHIKT.

Reply to
Silvan

Hee... I just looked, and I have three nails that are flattened like that. :)

Reply to
Silvan

I never cut my self checking a sharp tool. more from some bumbling act like flattening a japanese iron on sandpaper (lapping it) and getting my finger even though the blade was not sharp other dumb things.

Reply to
Steve Knight

(G) the problem is you can't feel it that's what I don't like.

Reply to
Steve Knight

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:15:48 -0800, charlie b Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

Actually Charlie, KY water based liquid type might not be a bad idea, , , the two main ingredients are glycerin and propylene glycol. that along with the water base might not be a bad idea for use with a water stone. who ever tries this just remember,,,use the liquid stuff,,,not the jelly in the tube!

Traves

snip

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:15:48 -0800, charlie b pixelated:

I'll buy them off you for a song, charlie. I love DMTs.

- Interpreted Interpolations Done Dirt Cheap. -----------

Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Good to know before I rob a bank! :-)

Layne

Reply to
Anonymous

I know what happened to the guy who mixed up the KY Jelly with the glazing compound... but what about KY and sharpening oil?

And for those who don't know the answer to the first question -

. . . .

keep scrolling

. . . .

almost there

. . . .

His windows fell out.

Reply to
Scott Cramer

I tried that Kentucky jelly with peanut butter. Didn't care for it much. ARM

Reply to
Alan McClure

Wow, that really brings the memories flooding back. One of the lessons that... Oh hell, there's just no way I can relate this tale without getting too risqué for this group. Let's just say I know what that stuff tastes like, and no, I'm not gay, and we'll just leave the rest to everyone's imagination. (It tastes *horrible*)

Reply to
Silvan

So much for my request that there not be any snide remarks. No matter where threads start it's impossible to know where they're going to end up. Who would have thought we had a cunning linguist amongst us.

Such a diverse group.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

LMAO. Not so cunning after all.

At least I only made that mistake *once*.

Reply to
Silvan