Japanese waterstones questions

Page 2 of 2

arw01 wrote:

I'm fully equipped with waterstones and diamond plates but got to try Shapton stones during a class. If I was starting from scratch, I'd go with the Shaptons. They really are that good.
Barry
AAvK wrote:

sharpening,
length
hands
hurts. I

sounds
Yeah, waterstones cut pretty fast and a lot of people say the Shaptons cut the fastest and wear the longest. I've got a set of Shaptons, and in my opinion they do cut faster - but not by a lot. Your arms and fingers are still going to get a workout, believe me.
If your intention is making your woodworking life easier, I'd say get a Tormeck. I think it'll be a little slower, certainly more money and there's probably a whole new learning curve, but I bet you'd save a lot of wear and tear on your arms.
In fact, your sort of situation is about the only thing that would make me consider the Tormeck system or something like it. It looks like it would do the job just as well as the combination of a good set of stones, practice, and elbow grease. If'n it hurt to apply the elbow grease, I wouldn't like woodworking so much.
My hat's off to ya. Hang in there.
you might want to watch this video
http://www.shaptonstones.com/stones/diamondlapping/dmdmovie.html