Japanese-style (roughly) woodworking

As an experiment, I've been trying to use vises and clamps as little as possible for various tasks, using planing stops, body weight, etc. On the whole, it works so well and efficiently that I'm seriously considering leaving the vise off the bench I'm planning. One thing I haven't been able to do satisfactorily, however, is chopping the pin parts for half-blind dovetails. How would one go about doing those without a proper holding system ?
Only one P in my real address/ Un seul P dans ma vritable adresse
If you want to do it the Japanese way, put your foot on it. What? You say that you are not a contortionist? That's why Europeans came up with the vise, bench dogs, holdfasts, ect.

You might want to look at Toshio Odate's book "Japanese Woodworking Tools and Their Use".
Layne