Japanese Shoji Paper - PVC laminated?

Page 1 of 3
Based on Robotoy's mention, I approached a client about using this, in lieu of opaque glass, on two desk doors:
http://tatamiroom.com/cgi-local/catalog.pl?category=SHOJI_PAPER-10#4S
She "LOVED it!" picked out the "Shoji Warlon Sheet#5-Extra Strength" on the above page, and I just ordered it this morning.
Never used the stuff before ... anyone with some experience have an idea of how best to both cut, and mount, this material in place of glass in a door?
My first thought is a carbide blade on the table saw?
(Rob, it's your damned fault!) ;)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 7/7/2012 2:27 PM, Swingman wrote:

On 7/7/2012 1:27 PM, Swingman wrote:

Clueless, BUT it is rice paper reinforced with a silky fiber and rolled up so I suspect it is not very stiff. I would guess a pair of scissors may do the trick.

As far as mounting it, how about wall paper paste on a (primed) piece of luan? If the paste soaks through the paper, maybe spray-on contact cement? ...or maybe photographic "dry-mounting paper"?
...or: (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Instead of luan, maybe a piece of glass? ;-)

It is my understanding that this particular item is in sheet form, not rolls, is laminated on both sides with clear PVC, and is made to be used in doors and windows ... at least that is what is stated in the first link above.
--
www.ewoodshop.com

Ah, I see it comes in a 3'x25' roll, 3'x6' laminated sheet, and adhesive backed. I just saw the first item on the page.

Yep ... I'm hoping like hell it is something that can be cut to fit and mounted, like a sheet plastic, otherwise a call to the Saturday Night Samurai may be in order. :)
--
www.ewoodshop.com

Ahhhh! Belushi at his best! My favorite was "Samurai Tailor".
On 7/11/2012 6:51 PM, Steve wrote:

Netflix is your friend ... my favorite is the Joe Cocker duo.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 7/7/2012 4:35 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

LOL Don't feel bad, you are not the only one ... seems to be epidemic. :)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

;-)
When someone gives a link without a specific pointer (e.g. "third item down") I generally just read the first.
My other excuse is that I wasn't seeing very well yesterday afternoon. A migraine was coming on (I don't get pain just an aura and my reading ability goes to hell) and I went and took a nap. ;-)
On 7/8/2012 10:52 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Nah, chalk it up to being a poorly designed, confusing page to start with. Too bad the web designer didn't see fit to have a link to a separate page for each specific item, but no such luck. That's why I attempted to provide a "pointer" with the name of the specific product, in parentheses. :)
Sorry about the migraine ... mine apparently comes gratis with a BP medication. The older you get the more you can't win for losing, but the alternative is a bitch. ;)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

It was a valiant attempt. ;-)

Mine started long before the BP medication. In fact I have no side effects from the BP medication at all. I take Metoprololto regulate the heart rate (A-Fib, five years back) and I can tell if I've missed it but the BP stuff I'm taking does nothing adverse. I was on one that attacked my shoulder joints. That was no fun. It didn't happen right away so it took me close to a year to figure out what was causing the problem.

You too? Things start shimmering like heat waves on a desert? Scared the hell out of me the first time I had one.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Around a blob or arc. The center is darkish. I can clearly see text there but the brain can't decode it. Fortunately it rarely lasts more than a ten or twenty minutes. Like I said, absolutely no pain, just this aura thing - both eyes (unless it's out of the normal FOV of one), open or shut.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aura_%28symptom%29
There's a pretty good simulation of what I see in here, though it's not usually this bad. I also don't have any other symptoms before or after. The migraines seem to come in clusters, though, lasting a few days, maybe a week. Then they'll go away for months.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/migraine-aura/MM00659 /
It was scary the first time (20 years ago, or more) but it's now just another ho-hum problem. It didn't take me long to figure out that it was a migraine, rather than an eye problem, though. It's always the same in both eyes and it doesn't matter if there is actually anything to see. I have mild RA, too, which is far more debilitating and that isn't really bad (particularly since I moved to the South ;-).
Yes, getting old is a bitch, but as Swingman noted, it sure beats the only alternative.

Have you actually handled any? I was always under the impression that rice paper was extremely delicate. Of course, this type of it might be reinforced as Leon mentioned.
On 7/8/2012 7:48 AM, Dave wrote:

Actually, it is "reinforced" by being laminated on both sides, with pvc, as the subject line/original post indicated from the beginning.
(seems like most did not scroll down to the actual product in question before replying, apparently assuming everything on the linked page was had the same properties)
Nope, never handled the stuff, again, as I indicated in the first post; and I certainly expect it to be thin, probably very thin, but still in "sheet" form.
Most interesting thing so far is Mike M.'s response ... if that is the nature of the beast, even with both sides laminated, I believe I could handle that process in the video, with some practice ... unfortunately there won't be much material to practice with, thus my post asking if anyone has had any experience with the stuff.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

You really are in a lousy mood today, more so than normal. Pax
On 7/8/2012 9:44 AM, Dave wrote:

Only if you consider stating of the obvious as being in a lousy mood?
Seems like that points more to yours? :)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 7/7/2012 3:36 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Yeah, whatever it is applied has to be opaque to do what the client wants. I think the adhesive backed paper is what is made for mounting on glass, not the laminated product which is what I ordered based on what the client wanted.
Considering the bubbling/air pocket problems I've had with putting a protective, adhesive backed screen on a smartphone, I hope like hell that is NOT the only option! :)
But, I'll know when it gets here ... ITMT, it's been an illustrative post, on many fronts, to say the least. :)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010