Japanese Saws

Page 2 of 2
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 08:13:32 -0500, Conan the Librarian

It got up to about 30% during the recent rains but it normally sits around 15% hummerditty here. <nomex=ON>

Uh, you just looked at the saw and still cain't spell it?!? Well, I'll be.

That'll do 'er.
Never underestimate the innate animosity of inanimate objects.
Larry Jaques wrote:

Hmmmm ... and I thought you were living in the rainforest.

Actually, I didn't *just* look at it, I looked at it the day before I wrote that post. And I don't really do Japanese, so I was trying to remember it phonetically.
BTW, I did spell it correctly: http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID 7

After the coolest (and wettest) summer I can remember around here, it looks like we're (finally?) settled in to our August weather pattern. Today should be about 98 with a heat index of 107 or so. And SWMBO's company is having their annual boat party today, so I'll get to experience it "up close and personal". :-}
Chuck Vance
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 07:09:26 -0500, Conan the Librarian

Just south of (thank the Great Spirit.) I'm in the Rogue Valley, which I feel is only fitting.

Excuses, excuses.

Very good.

We just got 4 days of rain (maybe an inch) which is way out of character for the summer. It's usually bone dry from late June through late October. Our annual 32" come in the other 7 months.

Well, at least you can dive in to cool off.
I don't regret leaving that crap behind in Little Rock back in the 60's, but I do kinda miss the spectacular lightning storms both from there and Phoenix.
Hey, the saw arrived today while I was out finding another company to manufacture another lot of my glare guards. It's great. I can see how much I need to squelch the twist in my arm movement while sawing much more easily with that than with a Western saw. I think I'm going to like this saw a lot. The crosscut saw is evenly toothed at 14 and the rip side varies from smaller 11tpi at the base to 7 at the tip. It's just thick enough that I won't have to worry about it kinking if I get in too much of a hurry, too. Now to work on sauring style...
- Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry. http://diversify.com
[snip]

Please pardon me for interupting, but, which exact saw did you get, and got a link to it? All I can get in stores here are shark and vaughn, as far japanese styles go. Thanks --Alex
AArDvarK wrote:

Lar is talking about the gyokucho ryoba noko giri from The Japan Woodworker (I think it's this 9-1/2" one: http://www.japanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&pf_id .611.0&dept_id812)
Chuck Vance
Larry Jaques wrote:

FWIW, when I'm using my Japanese saws I tend to hold the handle so that it sits parallel to my forearm, tucked inside my forearm and wrist (thumb on top of the handle). This helps prevent side-to-side movement, and makes the saw an extension of my forearm. That way the saw goes where my thumb points it.
Obviously, YMMV, but it might be worth a try.
Chuck Vance
Some have posted a mirror showing the back side is helpful, back side being marked also.
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 14:23:10 -0700, Larry Jaques

Jay Pique wrote:

Check out http://www.tashirohardware.com /
--
Donnie Vazquez
Sunderland, MD

That looks interesting. Have you had any experience with his saws? Anyone?
JP