Japanese Saws

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 13:03:25 -0500, Conan the Librarian calmly ranted:

You messy, you breaky. Same same.

I learned that both with the Veritas/Japanese flushcut saw and with freshly sharpened saws a few years ago. It was a very nice lesson, and one I won't ever forget. When I work up a real sweat with a saw, it means I'm working way, way too hard. A damp brow alerts me to that now and again and the pace drops while the work proceeds normally.

Will do.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I don't really have that luxury down here in Texas, as many days I can work up a sweat just by walking out into the shop. :-}

But your point is taken.

FWIW, I checked on the saw I got from Highland. It's not the same as yours afterall. IIRC, it's an Ikedame (sp?) ryoba. I gave it a spin ripping some 1-1/2" thick stock, and it did OK.

BTW, I was sweating when I was done.

Of course it was about 95 degrees and 95% humidity.

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 08:13:32 -0500, Conan the Librarian calmly ranted:

It got up to about 30% during the recent rains but it normally sits around 15% hummerditty here.

Uh, you just looked at the saw and still cain't spell it?!? Well, I'll be.

That'll do 'er.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hmmmm ... and I thought you were living in the rainforest.

Actually, I didn't *just* look at it, I looked at it the day before I wrote that post. And I don't really do Japanese, so I was trying to remember it phonetically.

BTW, I did spell it correctly:

> BTW, I was sweating when I was done.

After the coolest (and wettest) summer I can remember around here, it looks like we're (finally?) settled in to our August weather pattern. Today should be about 98 with a heat index of 107 or so. And SWMBO's company is having their annual boat party today, so I'll get to experience it "up close and personal". :-}

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 07:09:26 -0500, Conan the Librarian calmly ranted:

Just south of (thank the Great Spirit.) I'm in the Rogue Valley, which I feel is only fitting.

Excuses, excuses.

We just got 4 days of rain (maybe an inch) which is way out of character for the summer. It's usually bone dry from late June through late October. Our annual 32" come in the other 7 months.

Well, at least you can dive in to cool off.

I don't regret leaving that crap behind in Little Rock back in the 60's, but I do kinda miss the spectacular lightning storms both from there and Phoenix.

Hey, the saw arrived today while I was out finding another company to manufacture another lot of my glare guards. It's great. I can see how much I need to squelch the twist in my arm movement while sawing much more easily with that than with a Western saw. I think I'm going to like this saw a lot. The crosscut saw is evenly toothed at 14 and the rip side varies from smaller 11tpi at the base to 7 at the tip. It's just thick enough that I won't have to worry about it kinking if I get in too much of a hurry, too. Now to work on sauring style...

- Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry.

Larry Jaques
[snip]

Please pardon me for interupting, but, which exact saw did you get, and got a link to it? All I can get in stores here are shark and vaughn, as far japanese styles go. Thanks --Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

FWIW, when I'm using my Japanese saws I tend to hold the handle so that it sits parallel to my forearm, tucked inside my forearm and wrist (thumb on top of the handle). This helps prevent side-to-side movement, and makes the saw an extension of my forearm. That way the saw goes where my thumb points it.

Obviously, YMMV, but it might be worth a try.

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

Lar is talking about the gyokucho ryoba noko giri from The Japan Woodworker (I think it's this 9-1/2" one:

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

Reply to