Japanese marquetry magic

4 min. Hakone style marquetry awesomeness.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/TxvOMHoLRBY?autoplay=1

On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 11:33:54 AM UTC-4, Spalted Walt wrote:

Color me impressed!
On 9/27/2016 11:33 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:

What, no power tools? Amazing.
On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 15:33:47 +0000

all amazing the product the techniques the tools the skills
and maybe they most amazing is the ability to do that day in and day out for many years and maintain the desire and quality
one side note the stewardship of their forests is remarkable
they do import some lumber too but they carefully manage their natural wood resources
Well Stated and noted. I was the North American Engineering Manager for a '3-diamond' (red) company and some of the senior staff dabbled in some of this training for retirement. Some of the secret boxes - slides and trap doors in this beautiful craft shakes the wood working down to your toes.
Look at the end of the show and the elder man power with the shaving tool was something. Years of use builds just the muscles needed.
Martin
On 9/27/2016 6:59 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 22:24:17 -0500

making those thin veneers requires strength as you say plus the plane has to have the perfect consistent sharpness
plus on the ground cross legged which seems to me a feat as well

On 9/27/2016 11:33 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:

WOW!

Amazing! I wonder how the actual boxes are built.