Japanese Joinery

Obviously a lot of glue area on some of those joints, but I gotta ask:

How many of those joints actually exist outside of a computer?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

All of them?

Spalted Walt

If I had been exposed to this at an early age it would have been all over for me ... I'm not into Zen, but I could get lost, mind and body, in doing that kind of joinery, but it would have to be on my terms, IOW, to the exclusion of everything else.

Reminds of when I taught myself to code when I was much younger ... get lost in for days, or sometimes weeks.

Reply to
Swingman

I was a programmer for 40+ years. Thought I'd never do it again after I retired. Then I discovered Arduino - now I write code for my model railroad :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

See

Includes drawings with measurements and some strength analysis. Many lock with no glue at all.

Reply to
Larry Kraus

I guess - no glue on many of them. They exist on the fancy furniture and boxes and whatnot.

The craftsman might work on the project for months. We do the same in hours or days.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Thank you for the excellent pdf, Larry! The complexity of their style is mind boggling. The math on pg 88 through the finished corner hip roof joint on pg 95 is completely amazing.

Reply to
Spalted Walt

We use strong-ties and lots of nails, the Japanese use precision workmanship. Some buildings built their way have been in continuous use for more than a thousand years. How many built with Strong-Ties and Loctite will still be standing after that span of time?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Danged if I know. What I do know is, they burn great in a firestorm.

nb

Reply to
notbob

There are plenty of wood structures standing after 600 years. One just has to be in that country and see the old buildings.

The Old English "Eastburn Manor" - is still standing and in good shape. It was there a very long time ago.

Cultures in Japan and China and some other places have existed and they stayed in the same area / site for much of or all of the time.

Mart> In article , snipped-for-privacy@consolidated.net > says... >>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

When I was living in the UK, used to visit a pub, "The Royal Standard of England" that was 900 years old at the time ... built ten years before the Battle of Hasting in 1066.

Took this photo circa 1963:

The notable thing, besides its age, was how short the doorways were. Folks were obviously shorter in that part of the world before the Normans invaded. LOL

Reply to
Swingman

Is that vinyl siding ?

Reply to
G. Ross

I don't think Mr Robinson whispered "plastics" into Ben's ear until 1968?

Reply to
Swingman

On Oct 11, 2016, DerbyDad03 wrote (in article):

The Japanese use no glue at all, and are very proud of it.

All of these joint types are used, somewhere.

In buildings, strong joints, which are intentionally complex, to dissipate earthquake energy in the joint friction. There are no triangle braces or plywood shear sheets in Japanese building frames.

In furniture, beautiful joints. Japanese furniture can be taken apart and put back together without damage.

And, as others have noted, they have many wooden buildings that are 1,000 years old. Glue would be goo or dust by now.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

they also have taken joinery to the next level with cnc

the joints are too complex to do by hand

interestingly they used gluelam beams and cnc to create large spans that require no load bearing supports that would normally break up the space

think it was a music auditorium they built using this technique

the beams were curved also which added to the complexity of the joint and led them to cnc milled joints

Reply to
Electric Comet