Jammed Domino cutter

Hey Domino guys ...

I need to swap cutters and the one currently installed won't budge. Before I start hitting it with WD-40, I wonder if any of you have some better ideas.

Larry

Reply to
Gramps' shop

Maybe take a wooden clamp (hand screw or regular clamp with wooden blocks) tighten it on the bit and pull it off twist if necessary. Try twisting it in the direction it spins... thinking it picked up a burr and its against the turn direction, with it might free it up.

Reply to
woodchucker

Got it ... and I am embarrassed beyond measure to report I was tightening it instead of loosening it. I misread the docs on the direction to turn. That's what I get for trying to read something upside down (the docs, not me).

Reply to
Gramps' shop

Damn, I had the acetylene torch out ready to help. Have anything else that needs to be loosened?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Nah, you were just looking at it from the wrong side. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

"Gramps' shop" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I've been advised to tighten a stuck nut to try to break it free. Sometimes that reveals the nut turns the other way.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Yes, support the turret so that you do not force it to move in the direction that it normally moves. Festool advised me many years ago to preferably apply force either up or down. Apparently you can knock the left and right calibration out of whack if you force in those, left/right, directions. And support the turret on a bench top with the bit hanging our over the edge.

Other than that a penetrating lube should work, I do find that the bit does get tight so anything past a little snug when reinstalled is too much.

I wonder if a bit of Teflon tape or grease might alleviate the problem.

Reply to
Leon

Remember that a nut/blade/cutter always loosens in the same direction that it normally spins.

Reply to
Leon

Impact wrench or tap a wrench with a hammer.

Reply to
Morgans

NO. Way too radical for this particular situation. Likely to do more harm than good.

Reply to
Leon